Hi! wave.gif

So winter is going to be my first time skiing or snowboarding. I haven't chosen yet.

I'm wondering what kind of resort place is the best to start off at? I suppose somewhere not busy is good, and with some decent snow (is that going to make much of a difference for me), and simple not steep courses.

Any words of wisdom?

Jolly good!

Hey there Jolly Good!

My little bit of advice is to avoid trying to find the flattest courses. As a beginner most people have a natural tendency to avoid speed but I believe it's harder to keep your balance on flat surfaces than steep. So my advice is to pick a resort with a lot of middle level courses (not hard but not easy). Some of the easy courses seem to be almost made for cross country skiers.

One other thing, I can't speak for skiing but if you decide to snowboard, try to find a gondola lift. I think getting on and off the other lifts for beginning snowboarders can be difficult.

One last thought, get double lens goggles and buy a helmet if your budget allows.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:

One other thing, I can't speak for skiing but if you decide to snowboard, try to find a gondola lift. I think getting on and off the other lifts for beginning snowboarders can be difficult.
I think it is probably best to learn this right away. Nothing worse than watching Snowboarders get on the chair holding there board. It might be difficult for you but may as well learn it when you are learning everything else.

If you are in Hakuba and arent confident spend your first day at Hakuba Highland, its small and cheaper than the others. On you second day go to one of the bigger places - Happo, Goryu, Iwatake.

Skiing flat courses are fine, but the thing with snowboards is that its best to have little speed, its harder going slower than having a little speed up. The first hill at Highland is just about perfect for beginners

Toque, Unexperienced snowboarders don't have good balance and they often cause a disruption on the lift by falling. I think that if you can take a gondola and carry your board it will become easier to get off the regular lifts after you've developed a little skill. Also, I've been to several ski resorts where they do not allow snowboarders to carry their boards and I for one get irritated having to stop half way up the mountain because a new boarder has fallen as they attempted to get off the lift.

Yes that is annoying

For beginners of any type I'd say start out at a small not too busy mountain. Learning the basics of skiing/riding is the most important and should be done first.

Getting on and off the chair is very important and a basic skill although even us veterans get this screwed up every so often. There has been a few times where not paying attention 3 people try to get on a 2 person or we fall over or fall off. Just remember it's supposed to be fun. Don't get angry.

Hello Jolly Good,

As you live in tokyo then Tashiro in the Yuzawa area (next to the more famous Naeba) is perfect. Big wide slopes which are usually empty cos most people go to naeba/kagura. Only downside is its very open so the weather can get nasty which might not suit a beginner although there are then some nice powder bits.

As for which to do ski/board??. My experience was that skiing is easier and less painful to learn. On a board I kept falling over and smacking the back of my head and my arse which hurt like f""k. However, after learning to stay up I found boarding easier to get good at than skiing. Now I do both, i like to ski when its icy for the speed rush and board when its powder or powderish......Anyway just my two cents worth.....

Either way just laugh when you fall down becos even the best skiers/boarders make f""kups.

GAMBERO!!!!!

I pretty much learnt to board on intermediate runs

which were too steep for me but I'd recommend it over flat courses. I could already ski though not that well. Doing it that way I could board better than I could ski after about 5 days. Pain is a given when learning but don't let that put you off

I agree with Davo, I learnt on intermediate courses and did I learn quick!! I will admit it was painful but I think it sped up the learning process (adding an element of survival instinct generally improves my willingness to learn).

Kintaro's advice about using the gondala is good to get started but hey grab the bull by the horns!!

Good Luck and most of all enjoy yourself.

As an afterthought maybe try some lessons, sometimes I wish I did!!

Get a helmet. When I was learning, I took it for granted that I would have a cracking headache after each sesh from smashing my head backwards onto hard snow. Not that it was any disincentive. But when I finally got a helmet, I could smash my head (it still hurt) all I wanted without getting the headache.

It might be a good idea to keep your first boarding session to a half day. The parts that will hurt the next day will hurt maybe a bit less permanently that way.

If you decide to learn to ski, then take lessons. It took me a couple of sessions to get the skis to turn and stop, and about a week to develop a decent stem turn and to get my weight in the right place. That's all you need to be able to get up and down the mountain.

That investment has given me 30 years (and counting) of mountain delight. If you ski, you fall. Don't forget to have fun.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Good:
Thanks for all the tips folks. I suppose the first decision is 1 plank or 2? \:\)
What are you looking for? Skis are more versatile and easier in difficult conditions. It's easier to balance if you can move your feet independently. If you've boarded, you may find boarding more natural than trying to control a pair of skis. Boarding has a nice aesthetic, but I prefer getting around the mountain to lying in the snow. I'm also in the minority :p

hey kintaro

i get really pissed off when some skiier who skis once a year falls flat on their backside going on to the lift. it happens to skiers just as much as beginner snowboarders. just get stuck behind a family on their once a year ski trip with little kids who cant get on the lift.

when i was learning to snowboard i was on the lift at the end of day one and wasnt holding up the expert skiiers...give people a break mate!

• 2 weeks later...