I was just reading about those resorts offering good food on the slopes and thought it might be a good idea for a thread. I haven't been to those places so I don't know.

But generally, I'm really fed up of the "food" on offer at resorts. It's usually just so crap.

Anyone recommend any places that are actually GOOD?

Usually take my own. Perch myself by the halfpipe if its sunny, buy a drink & sit in the restaurant if it's not. At GALA you can sit in the old gondula cars at the bottom of the half pipe. Can't really recommend any resorts on the merits of their food. I do remember going to a nice place in Hiroshima quite a few years back. Was a Swiss restaurant with a big open log fire. Trouble was, there was hardly any snow.

After reading about the changes in Kandatsu, our group decided to check it out. Seems they are really putting some emphasis on offering good food, not ski-jo food. We were sceptical, but were pleasantly surprised at how good it was. They've got some famous Tokyo restaurants up there (and some popular Hiroshima okonomiyaki restaurant?) and the food really was very un-ski-jo like. The only problem they seem to have is that it takes too long. With it all being made on ordering they give you a number and give you a call when you're food is ready. Took us about 10 minutes to get ours. No problem when you're not in a rush, but with lots of people around it seemed to be creating a few problems. Spoke to a guy there and they said they're putting in some changes soon to relieve that problem.

\:\)

The next day we went to Hakkai for some mogul bashing, and had a really crap curry rice for lunch.

\:\(

I wrote some journals about it.

I usually don't expect food at ski resort and don't have lunch while I'm skiing. Just have some chocolate and something to drink.

(I found "marshmallow" was perfetct lunch for my skiing day. This marshmallow is bigger than normal marshmallow and chocolate cream in the center! I bought it Seijo-Ishii supermarket in Shibuya.)

However, there is my favorite bakery on the top of Yokote-yama, Shiga-kogen and favorite soba-ya in Karuizawa.

When I want to enjoy skiing and good food, I always fly to Sapporo!

Clock, the bakery is at the top of Yokoteyama just off of Dai 3 lift. Wasnt open when I was there so would like to take another trip back to Shiga to experience the goods there.

Ski - Hiroshima Okonomiyaki (at least in Hiroshima) is my most favorite Japanese food. Ahh its delicious!

Apologies for bringing up that overused resort AGAIN - Niseko ...

At Hirafu there is a small hut located midslope that do lunches - rustic old joint with a potbelly stove in the middle of the main room, and the smelliest toilets in Japan. eek.gif

Does anyone know its name? wakaranai.gif

I've been there numerous occasions because the food is good - hey, beats greasy pizza and chips! :rolleyes:

Same as Slow I also don’t like to eat on the slopes. I prefer to have some good breakfast and then have with me chocolates and candy for the rest of the day in case blood sugar drops. If I eat on the slope I get really sleepy and heavy and can hardly move afterwards.

I really enjoy dinner afterwards though!

Hum.... for me, better than nothing even if it's a crap.

If I missed lunch, probably can not ski any more lol.gif

For those who are chubby like me,eating is VERY important as well as food is very important that's why they are chubby and can not lose any extra weight \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:
sub, was it the miharashi hut??
That's the place! Thanks for reminding me. Best food deal on mountain, though not a huge variety.

As for lunching - well it depends what country I'm in:

Oz typically has heavy greasy foods - which I avoid. US has a good variety (Chilli Beans!!) Canada much the same as US, NZ has crap, Japan - the best choice of healthy and light foods.

After a bit of experimenting, these days prefer to have a big breakfast and just eat lollie/drink for lunch.