• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by V:
Does it ever snow there?
It can quite seriously go 2-3 weeks without one snow flake. It is a bit depressing but quite normal for many Europeans. Besides, the Italian ski resort culture is one that values a southern facing sunny aspect for a suntan and a resort that serves good food. Japanese style snow fall/weather (and resort food) would no be popular with the ski-holiday masses.

The snow conditions in the Alps can be quite desperate. I have seriously seen massive areas that have just as bad snow conditions and a thinner pack than you will find in places like Australia. The saving grace for the Alps is the height (relative to Australia) and the temperature being quite cold, so northerly slopes stay in ok condition for a long time.

But be warned, booking a 2 week to the Alps can be a terrible disaster: crap icy snow pack and blue skies every day for the whole time.

There are some classic well known resorts in Europe that have not even properly opened yet. I love Europe, but the image of it being the home of snow and snow sports is an oddity, since it gets less and poorer quality snow than Canada, America and Japan. The mountains aren't even that high compared to the American peaks.
 Quote:
Wow! Women's curling, Japan v Russia coming up!
They are certainly working up a sweat with their,

"CHU!CHU!CHU!CHU!CHU!"
"woah"

"Ohhh! Nyet! Nyet! Nyet!"
"Yamosh!"

I wish Low Pressure Lover's friend was commenting for this event to "spice" it up some more.

Some of the speed skaters I am watching now are bizarre looking women! not the tall ones, they look athletic but the short tree trunk ones with thighs bigger than their waists! most unusual, USA providing a couple of prime examples. Kowai.

The blond Russian was a highlight of the curling, more zannen for the Nippon.

Maybe its their new slogan- Zannen Nippon!

X - country skiing was quite exciting.

wish they had a big air comp at the Olympics for the boarders