• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a crock! Cohen fell over twice - not stumbles but ugly spills and generally looked shaky and still managed 2nd? Slutskaya had one small spill and got third? Suguri who was fourth after round one was very smooth, solid routine, no falling over, yet can only crack it for fourth?. She was robbed.

How they judge is mystery.

the way I saw it.

1 Arakawa

2 Slutskaya

3 Suguri

4 Cohen

the Georgian girl also got the shaft, she had no mistakes and loooked pretty decent but ended up nowhere.

Anyway well done Arakawa, she has put the lead back in the Nippon pencil, the moaning would be unbearable if their had been no success.

and didnt she looked well stoked? biggrin.gif

The new figure skating scoring system is still a work in progress. Attempting and failing quads will gain you more points than a perfectly executed double with bonus points for style (or whatever). This probably still reflects the skill level of the competitors, but sure looks ugly. And ugliness goes against the supposed artistry of figure skating. Schizo "sport" \:D

I haven't seen one minute of figure skating action yet, just internet knowledge :p

China did very well in the Freestyle Skiing Aerials. A Gold in the Men's and a Silver in the Women's. I wonder whether they picked their potential athletes for this event out of their Diving squad trainees.

Quote:
Originally posted by Markie:
China did very well in the Freestyle Skiing Aerials. A Gold in the Men's and a Silver in the Women's. I wonder whether they picked their potential athletes for this event out of their Diving squad trainees.
Makes sense, many ex-gymnasts go into diving, which extends their sporting life, so it's not a stretch to have them move to aerials.

Canadas team in the aerials are from Trampoling backgrounds, they went and recruited.

Dont have to teach anything about flipping and spinning, just landing which looks evil, I saw the Aussie chick blow out her knee, she was just screaming.

Aerials is a mad sport, I love my kneee too much to destroy them like those guys do.

People talk about moguls killing knees but moguls have nothing on aerials.

speaking of moguls I saw Johnny Moselys run from Nagano '98. his run wouldnt have made the top 10 this year, it is the amazing the progression in moguls.

and the actual moguls at Nagano were huge! big perfectly formed bumps, not like the ugly flat things found at Turin. The Japanese sure know how to make good bumps!

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
Its a stupid sport when you can fall twice and still come in second
I second that motion

plus I'd like to add my 2cents. I don't know why they bother with music since it doesn't seem to me like they are dancing to the music at all. After watching 3 skaters, I can say that figure skating is just spinning in one spot, jump spins and gliding with one leg up. You just have a couple of each and the rest is filler waving your arms in the air. clap.gif

The bumps have been knocked down in size to make way for air. Mosely pushed/saved mogul sking twice and should get alot of credit for what he did. He was robbed of a medal at Salt Lake he went against the grain and got shafted for it.

I dont think Pipe or any Judged sport should be in the Olympics but that is my 2 cents only.

Figure skating is never going to be cut

I'd like to see somebody on here try and defend the sport

I have a few rules that I'd like to see added:

All skaters must wear G-Strings

Get rid of the skin colored nylons that they wear to keep warm. Sack up or get out

While in the air skaters must put both their legs behind their heads

entertaining yes of course but judged sports dont belong in the olympics in my mind. there are always problems and this year was no different.

Figure skating is a Joke with the 2nd and 3rd place women crashing. The pairs 2nd place team took a break, I mean come on a break?

The Mens moguls was subjective really, the Auzie/Canadian dude didnt pull the hardest tricks and wasnt the fastest but he stuck the landing.

Mens snowboarding had some issues in qualifiers.

I want a clear winner and a clear looser.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
The pairs 2nd place team took a break, I mean come on a break?
Like what are we talking here

They sat down for drinks and a smoke
Or did they just sit down on the ice for a few minutes to catch their breath

Not that it matters. They are athletes or a sort so they should be able to finish their routines and if not be severly penalized for it

um, hang on. He went to Aus at 15, then went thru high school in Australia. Now, in anyone elses case that would more or less qualify them to be Australian, being the nature of how the country is made up. confused.gif Go ahead and claim and whine all you like FT, his passport says AUSTRALIAN :p \:D

well, if you had to choose which country to ski in, and the choices were Aus v Canada, which would you choose? So any players of any sport cease to be whatever nationality they are just because they practice their trade in another country? Gee, that would rule most soccer plays out of representing their countries at the world cup...