Karrimor Rucksacks - absolute crap.

Helly Hansen Thermals - like wearing sandpaper.

Haven't had much luck with Scarpa boots - though I think it's probably the shape of my feet AKA ski boot brands that only suit certain foot shapes.

Quote:
Originally posted by SubZero:
Why is that?
My friend just bought a big bag for our 6-7 day trek through the south alps. Should I be prepaired to pick up his stuff if his bag explodes?
 Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
 Quote:
Why is that?
My friend just bought a big bag for our 6-7 day trek through the south alps. Should I be prepaired to pick up his stuff if his bag explodes?
Although I have an old Karrimor sack, found their stitching to be crapo - particularly where the harness joins the bag at both shoulder and waistbelt points.

Keep an eye on these points if carrying big loads and be careful when picking up to put on - best never to swing it on using only one shoulder strap e.g. pick up by the portage loop and balance it on something (a knee), better still, help each other load up.

As Fatts suggested, carry needle and thread - I carry one of those sewing repair kits you get in hotels/airlines and keep it as part of the first aid kit ... weighs bugger all and takes up no space - repairs shirts, shorts, tents, rucksacks, sleeping bags and people!

Good luck and have fun. (Don't forget the two-ply toilet paper - no leaves above the snowline!) lol.gif

"Helly Hansen Thermals - like wearing sandpaper."

eek.gif

You'd have thought they might have developed something a bit better than that. Before now I only heard good things about them too. \:\(

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
 Quote:
Why is that?
Had several karrimor packs over the last eighteen years, and they were fantastic. Dumped my first one three years ago after climbing Rinjani in Indo, still all stitched together but a little beat up... needed to loose the weight!

Not bought one recently, however, and the Co.s changed hands a few times...

i would have to agree with you about the burton deal although now its super hard to stay away from burton because the past 2 years burton has bought out many of the major board companies.

burton is kind of like nike of the snowboard world..... not a bad product but extremely over priced for what you're gettin

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
you should always pack an e-sewing kit on a trip like yours dude. 2 needles and 50m of thread takes up 3cmx1cm of space
lol - FT is right! Saved myself a few times with my 'gay' little sewing kit.

Hmm, bad experiences with gear. Well, might as well go right to the top - I've blown out two pairs of Rossignol skis. I'm talking destroyed them on rocks that should have just taken a chunk. My K2's have always been solid. Solomons too. Dynastar also. No probs with those brands.

Shoots, My Kelty 4 season tent is bomb-proof, my North Face 0F deg is sweatalicious, my personal clothes/gear are fine.

It's always the little things that get you in the back country. For what we like to do, the more money you spend generally means the better quality you'll get. You can find deals, but be suspicious.

Instead of dissing on a brand, I'd like to give a little notice to one - Marmot - I live in a harsher winter climate than most of you can dream of. A T-shirt, my 750 fill Marmot down jacket at 45 below zero keeps me warm. They've done well lately.

Gear and advice depends on what it was made for and how it holds up. Sounds like some of you are just buying crap before doing any research. For instance, Marmot may have a shitty rain jacket, but damn, they make a great 'cold as hell' down jacket.

Perspective, use and durability. I don't know how it is in Japan since nothing fit me anyway, but common sense usually rules. If you buy something crappy, it's your own fault.