It seems knees are an important body part for skiing/snowboarding and also seem prone to buggering up. Mine are feeling pretty fragile after two years of riding a too small silver granny bike and playing football on rock hard pitches.

Any recommendations for good ways to preserve your knees through exercise or diet?

What are your priorities? If skiing comes top then give up football, and get a decent bike. Swim, and keep your weight under control. I have had intermittent knee problems for 25 years, and have only recently connected it with a twisted pelvis, injured playing rugby as a teenager. When my back is right, the knees work perfectly. See a good Chiropractor, and do it while young.

stretch stretch stretch stretch stretch. and stregthen the muscles around the area. this does not just mean quads. if the surrounding area is strong it will hold your knee in solid position.

I have very flat feet as well. When I walk in bare feet you can hear me coming from far off. Smack smack smack.

And I used to have knee problems but since coming to Japan I ride bike a lot. That really seems to help.

Soubriquet is right though. If Skiing/Snowboarding are your loves then you should take the football out or lower the level down.

I found that skiing was really good for my knees (after the first couple of days)

If you're really worried about your knees, you should tape them I reckon. The couple of dollars on tape is worth not having knee problems later.

Sorry team, but I'm going to blow a little smoke about Chiropractors.

My back problem is very common: an unequal force caused a slight dislocation of the pelvis, where one hip moved up relative to the other. This rotates the coccyx, and puts an "S" shaped curve in the spine seen from behind. My back is weakened by being bent, and my balance suffers because my head is no longer centred over my hips. But wait... because my hips are out, my legs are different lengths, my knees are twisted (painful), and I find it hard to get enough angulation with my right knee to make a decent left turn.

This happened to me when I was in the centre of a collapsed scrum. A big stack could have done the same.

The solution is not to see a Physio. It costs $30-40 for a session with a Chiroprator. Because I neglected the injury for 30 years, I have to get a tune up about every 2 months. I come out walking tall, walking straight and feeling like a King. If you young dudes get a check 1-2 times a year it will keep your body's frame in peak condition, and set you up for a lifetime of mountain pleasure.

Uncles soub's tip'o'the day: marry a girl who'll wear a short skirt, and do as she's told ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by kris kenzel:
I take it as a supplement daily, a knee surgeon recommended it to a mate of mine, who did his knee in while playing tennis.
I've been taking the stuff for 3 years. Lot of good it did me!

It's all about genetics and the activities you have done or choose to do currently.

As far as strengthening the muscles around your knee.....yeah, right. I have tree trunks for legs and it didn't help me at all. I work out too (took 2 years off in Japan - you ever see a rural Japanese weight room?). Anyway....

I work out responsibly (now), I stretch, I've done yoga, tai chi, etc..... My knee still got messed up. 3 times! NEVER has one of my injuries been directly caused by skiing.

I tore my first meniscus stretching to go rock climbing............tore the second one (some dead dudes, but it was in me) in a 'get ready for ski season!' training class, and had multiple tears and many other major problems for my third surgery. It took hitting an icy bump at Alyeska to drive the point home, but major reconstruction was in order.

I just want to shout it out to you people, other knee survivors - MY KNEE FEELS GREAT NOW! \:D It's still a bit soon, but my knee hasn't felt better since high school! Wonder doc, wonder job. Thank you Doctor Wade! \:D
 Quote:
Originally posted by Oyuki kigan:
I am finally walking today! No more crutches!
Congratulations Oyuki!

Awesome! Keep up with the re-hab and keep stretching!

I'm 6 weeks ahead of schedule now \:\) My knee feels good, but in an ouchy sort of way. You know what I mean? It just feels right now. The wonders a knee cap in the right place can do!

Thanks. But my calves are killing me...

There is a onsen up in the Nasu mountain range (Sando-goya) thats a 2-hour hike to get into. I hope i can do it be October or November.

If i'm lucky, maybe i'll see you guys on the slopes.

• 1 month later...

Last week I nearly fell off when trying to mount my bike, when my right knee buckled. I also had to can a planned assault on Gassan, for fear that my knee wouldn't be up to a gentle cruise.

The Chiropractor fixed my back today, and Yippee, I can walk.

I can't stress to you young dudes with bodies like finely tuned machines, how important it is to have your back and hips straight to be able to balance well, and avoid chronic problems later in life, ahem. Get a tune up before the season starts and after any major stack. You reading this Toque?