• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fattwins

• mattlucas

• Yuki's Passion

• bushpig

Ok at least for now over look it. He is like many of us trying to make a buck outside the English world. Ill will get him to look it over but he is not unprofessional.

He spent a lot of time getting burton to send boards and boats to Japan that were over sized and come with a Japanese warranty, same goes with Head.

I have no interest in this at all other than my little girl loves his little boy.

Sorry Fattwins I agree. Bad spelling on a company website trying to sell stuff just is not good. It gives the impression they can't be bothered. Without knowing that he is a great dude, that's the impression that is being sent out.

agree with all the above. It's fine if he is relying on word of mouth only among a community of people who know and trust each other, but if he wants this to get wider/bigger and possibly get picked up by search engines, then it needs to be as professional looking as possible. First impressions count for a lot, especially when people are shelling out money over the net. There are too many shady sites out there.

I just looked at the site again and it seems like a great idea and I wish your friend the best FT but the whole site looks like it's a draft that hasn't been proof read for spelling or checked for punctuation. The grammar is little sloppy too.

On a professional website you want to look professional and sadly this site doesn't - it looks half-assed, which doesn't do justice the effort that this guy has obviously put into creating and building up his business. If a web site is half-assed how is the service going to be? this is what some punters think when they see such a thing.

The site needs someone with solid writing skills to edit it.

These are minor points, but important points. Nevertheless I will recommend it to people who ask me about buying large sized equipment as I feel confident the aforementioned issues will be ironed out soon :-)

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
that might be the maggot himself.

Haha, it was actually a mutual friend of ours whose surname sounds a bit like maggot so that's what he gets called... so you are wrong and right. He'll be with Hakuba with me on weekend of 15th - somehow managed to get the big clown on skis for the first time.

ok,

If you are gonna sell to the public from a website, here's a few tips:

Proof read your content. Does it sound logical?, do keywords stick out?

Does it captivate your audience?

Emphasize your location.

Put a personal touch on the site. A familiar face will help a sale!

The less steps you have to take between a page view & a sale, the better,

Offer ways for the viewer to get in contact easily

Make your website more believable by having real 9-5 contact numbers, or "live consultant" contacts

Optimize images for speed of download!

Bottom line, everyone will critique a website, so matter no matter what you do, someone is going to give you crap.

The reality is, websites are just an extension of your physical presence (unless you are web only), so as long as you have friendly staff, word of mouth will be the key, until your website content grows, and search engines index & recognize your site.

But what would I know? lol.gif

• SnowJapan Admin
 Quote:
bottom line, everyone will critique a website, so matter no matter what you do, someone is going to give you crap.

Yes we can vouch for that!
Offer them free holidays and some people will still give you crap!
haha

;\)

It certainly can't hurt to get some feedback on the site and to have someone run the spellchecker/proof read it.

I have been setting up a message board over the past few months and we had quite extensive beta testing and proof reading before we went 'live' ... but even then there were things that slipped through the net!

It is a tricky business getting your shite together for an on-line community - which is why I tip my hat to these SJ guys... you blokes do a bonzer job! Onya! But in the end, if you give it your best, do what you can do, and people are not happy with it - well hey ... it happens! I get narky PM's semi-reularly...what can you do except be nice and pour yourself a big glass of bubbly alcoholic stuff!

Mamabear (who multitasks as Mother and wife, Deaf Sign Interpreter, Webmistress for Christmas Crazies, and newborn Snowboard junkie!)

ft, how come he/you/they didn't ask someone to look at it first?

as an editor whose exams i help make get taken by 1,600,000 test takers per year, you can't have mistakes on it. i agree with kuma and cb and the general consenus.

tateyama tr of shame up momentarily

• SnowJapan Admin

Thank you very much, Mamabear. Your comments are appreciated.

I think I will have that big glass of alcoholic stuff right now.

Have a good weekend.

\:\)

hey FT, you wouldn't happen to have found a pair of grey mont-bell overgloves at your place at the end of last season?

i can't find mine (and there's no more boxes to dig through) so i'm starting from the last place I used them...

If we are looking for lost gloves - Baby bear lost a pair of brand new Dakine Camo's after just 5 hours at Thredbo...they might be in the same place as his grey and black ones....also lost in August at Thredbo!

Maybe I should check out the website of that American woman who has started a site to reunite owners with thier one lost glove... ohhh that wont work - he lost the PAIR! BOTH PAIRS...

LOL - guess what Santa is bringing Baby Bear this year!!