You might not be skiing in late June like normal years

But you should be able to ski into early June on some lines in Hakuba. You'll be walking out though. But that just adds to the adventure

Tateyama is so 2 years ago \:D

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fattwins

• mattlucas

• Yuki's Passion

• bushpig

Karasawa is all north facing

You would be walking in quite a bit further than we did last year

Kamikochi is at 1500metres so right there it is above most resorts

There will be good skiing in the Karasawa until late May at least

Yah I'd like to know what it looks like

There has to be snow somewhere up high in the alps. 2005 which was a low year I skied in some good runs in mid June

So early May should have something. Won't look like last year but...

am im correct to assume that most skiers/boarders here in SJ are the BC types?

how do you guys/gals started out on BC? did you first do it while in your home country (mine is a tropical country, so no hope of that), or after you came to Japan? is it difficult to learn? are there any pre-requisites? how do i begin on jumping on the bandwagon?

northalpsfromaircm6.jpg

Hey check out this picture I just dug out. Took this in January 2004. That's Yari on the right with Oku-Hotaka just left of centre and the Karasawa Valley is the basin right below.

Got that from a plane on the return flight from my one and only trip to Niseko thumbsdown.gif

;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by WantToSki:

how do you guys/gals started out on BC? did you first do it while in your home country (mine is a tropical country, so no hope of that), or after you came to Japan? is it difficult to learn? are there any pre-requisites? how do i begin on jumping on the bandwagon?
HA are you joking?! i'd say a handful of skiers/boarders on SJ are BC types..... usually people are talking about what colour of ski poles they use on here..... if you want to see a real forum full of BC stoke check here..... http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/

this looks like fun.... http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79074

nice picture of the alps there toque thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif
 Quote:

I think this is a good question. I started bc in Japan. It's not too difficult to learn. It's just learning about snow and to respect it. To jump on the bandwagon you should take an avy course and buy the equipment. Be warned though, it gets very expensive. You're looking at 2man for the basic course, then up to 10man in avy gear. (rough prices: 4man for beacon, 6000 for a shovel, 6000 for a probe, 1man for a backpack to put it all in, 3 man for snowshoes, 7000 for collapseable poles). I recommend taking the course before getting the gear since you can rent the stuff at the course and see what you like. There's nothing worse than buying a shovel that won't fit in your pack! You could also take a bc tour with a professional guide to see if you like the idea of hiking up the mountain in deep snow for 2 hours to get an epic 5min run. Sometimes it's not epic either.

WTS, There are a lot of us that are not BC types. I'm mainly piste and park - but I would like to get some BC experience in. First, I think I need to get in better shape - I don't know that I can hike for long in my current state of fitness. Maybe next season (since this one is just wrapping up) a few of us can pool together and take a beginner BC course. I was talking to Slow about it and a few others seem keen to try.

My bindings are white ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
 Quote:

I think this is a good question. I started bc in Japan. It's not too difficult to learn. It's just learning about snow and to respect it. To jump on the bandwagon you should take an avy course and buy the equipment. Be warned though, it gets very expensive. You're looking at 2man for the basic course, then up to 10man in avy gear. (rough prices: 4man for beacon, 6000 for a shovel, 6000 for a probe, 1man for a backpack to put it all in, 3 man for snowshoes, 7000 for collapseable poles). I recommend taking the course before getting the gear since you can rent the stuff at the course and see what you like. There's nothing worse than buying a shovel that won't fit in your pack! You could also take a bc tour with a professional guide to see if you like the idea of hiking up the mountain in deep snow for 2 hours to get an epic 5min run. Sometimes it's not epic either.
Wow! That is expensive...

Anyway, isnt this the same way we started when we first skied?

Anyway, do you have an recommendations on where to take that basic course (preferably in Japan)?

I may decide not to take it now, but at least I can jot it down, and mark it in my calendar (note: one season later)...

Quote:
Originally posted by SirJibAlot:
WTS, There are a lot of us that are not BC types. I'm mainly piste and park - but I would like to get some BC experience in. First, I think I need to get in better shape - I don't know that I can hike for long in my current state of fitness. Maybe next season (since this one is just wrapping up) a few of us can pool together and take a beginner BC course. I was talking to Slow about it and a few others seem keen to try.

My bindings are white ;\)
I see... Well, I too am interested in a beginner BC course. However, to what ski level do you need to be to begin BC? (As some would know me here, I only got started in skiing last season...)

Kuma you trying to pull a fast one on us

That's just a zoom in of FT in the the first shot

Or maybe a second later

Anybody can ski in the backcountry

You don't need to be an expert. There are loads of people that learn how to ski in the BC

You do need mountain knowledge though. For myself it was a natural progression as I am always in the mountains in the non-skiing seasons. I just joined my two passions together

Passion #1 - Standing on top of thing

Passion #2 - Skiing off the top of things

want to ski, you'll wants skins, not snowshoes if you're a skier

Evergreen Outdoors in Hakuba and

Canyons Adventures in Gunma are too places to start. mark your calender!

kuma, you're on a b&w kick lately.

what's up the the avie picture? it looks like color in the foreground (yellow) and b&w in the background (peaks). very ominous photo

Toque, it's a separate shot, a split second earlier & cropped. so no fast one.

Dizzy, the sun was shining on the valley and there were clouds on the peaks putting them in the shade. if you look at the small patch of sky you'll see blue.