• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fattwins

• mattlucas

• Yuki's Passion

• bushpig

I'm over 80kgs, but I don't ski aggressively. I'm going to be 55 next birthday, and I've been carrying back and knee injuries for decades. If I jump or stack, I'm going to get injured, which means I won't be able to ski.

I probably don't need anything like the max settings.

Soub, if you are considering a touring binding and skins, I would still recommend the Duke but only because it has a lower profile. I don't think you need the durability over a fritchi or naxo, but that lower profile brings your foot closer to the ski, making 'smearing' pow turns easier. It also makes side-slipping in pow much easier, which everybody does, regardless of their ego.

that is coming from somebody who has NOT skied the duke, I'm just advising do to specs, physics and most people's pow ski preferences in reference to risers and low-profile bindings. Actually, that low profile was carefully engineered for this exact reason.

I have a gotama/fritchi that I smear all over the place. so, I'm not preaching, just throwing more things at you to confuse you.

Thanks samurai. You aren't confusing me at all, I can follow your logic easily. The Mantra/Duke combination looks about as good as it can get for someone with my abilites and opportunities. It's going to open up a lot of terrain. Explaining it to soubriqutte will be another matter.

the duke is not really for touring so just dont buy it. Ive seen them up close and although I want them they dont do things well for touring.

they skin worse then any other touring binding

you must click out of the binding to tour.

the heel lift is pretty crap you cant get it to go down without un clicking.

Snow in the unit is a pain I watched a guy deal with it gloves off for 5 mins.

The brakes snap very easy.

The duke is not a touring binding its a slackcountry steep sking binding for serious skiers is serious terrain.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
The duke is not a touring binding its a slackcountry steep sking binding for serious skiers is serious terrain.
I guess that rules me out then lol.gif

Thanks everyone. The powder ski decision has been made, but the outcome is still under consideration. I might go second hand as an interim. Anyone want to flog me some used skis?
 Quote:
the duke is not really for touring so just dont buy it. Ive seen them up close and although I want them they dont do things well for touring.
Well, I currently use Trekkers so in comparison:

Quote:
they skin worse then any other touring binding
Surely Trekkers are worse.

Quote:
you must click out of the binding to tour.
Same with Trekkers.

Quote:
the heel lift is pretty crap you cant get it to go down without un clicking.
Can't you just bend a knee like a tele turn and put it down while your heel is raised. Not so easy on a steep traverse but is it possible?

Quote:
Snow in the unit is a pain I watched a guy deal with it gloves off for 5 mins.
Don't know but I can believe that.

Quote:
The brakes snap very easy.
Don't know - haven't heard that before.

Soub go with naxos and a nice medium flexing ski to tour with.

Trekkers suck for long tours yes. if you use trekkers then the duke is the best option. for a 55 year old guy looking to relax tour the duke is way over kill and too much din.

the brakes snapped when my friend threw them over a river.

Soubs

Quote:
What's the deal with skins? Do I have to go out and bludgeon a dewy-eyed mammal to death, or are there satisfactory artificial alternatives?

If you can find a baby Harp seal they work best.

Just kidding.

Balck Diamond and G3 make some good skins that are synthetic. I've been using some Black Diamond ascensions with no problems

Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
How about something the size of the Mantra (130/94/113). I have a table here which lists:

Fischer Atua
Elan M 999
K2 Seth Viscious
Volkl Gotama
K2 Apache Chief
K2 Anti Piste
I second everything fattwins just said about bindings for your new gig, but wanted to say; "Nice list."

The Gotama is becoming quite the world-famous pow ski.

Thanks again, everyone. The harder I look, the more confusing everything gets, but I have some ideas now. I'll mull things over for a few weeks, specifically whether I want a groomer ski which handles powder (all mountain), or a powder ski which handles groomers. Probably the latter.

question.gif

hey,

I am going to be in Osaka for work the first week of April, but have Friday afternoon and all day Saturday to play. I want to take a train up north to board for the day. Adavanced terrain is more important the convinient travel. I will need to rent a board and boots, but will bring the rest. I unfortunately don't know a damn thing about which resort to visit, can someone offer some advice?

Thanks. I had been thinking about an all mountain ski like the Volkl AC4, but I suspect they are effectively wide carvers. There would be a lot of overlap with the skis I have, and I'd guess they are quite stiff. What I think I'm looking for is something soft.

Which K2? There are three in the list.