• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fattwins

• mattlucas

• Yuki's Passion

• bushpig

yay it's Friday!

Monday and Tuesday's lesson's are pretty much sorted, body more or less in one piece despite skating more again recently.

I'm all ready to come out of weekend retirement!!!

Except I have no clean underwear. I swear someone is stealing my pants! (I suspect Oyuki Kigan)

First stop in Hakuba will be the laundrette for the tumble dryer!

Dude, you know i only rock the loincloth when i ride, and you are a full-on `banana-hammock` type of guy.

I suspect the problem is that you take them off in too many places with too many people.

My suggestion is to start attaching idiot strings to them, like they do with little kids` mittens. Maybe you can have them attached to your socks...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:

tohoku bum beware of ebc's secret spots
lol.gif
I've heard EBC's secret spot is quite bushy :p

Today was rather on the epic side, aside from the group of aussies who poached my poach. Even saw a bear.

Just tell me where to be and when. Looking forward to getting piste with you.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Oyuki kigan:

My suggestion is to start attaching idiot strings to them, like they do with little kids` mittens. Maybe you can have them attached to your socks...
If I had idiot strings on everything I forget / lose I'd look like Mr Messy from the Mr Men - big bundle of string (actually he's crayon scrawl, I know, I'm just trying show how literate and well-read I am!)

I loved idiot strings on mitts when i was a kid - the way they stay in your coat when you take it off.

This is so difficult

I'm only teaching 75minutes a day right now. The rest is just sitting around and getting ready for the next class

My desk is set up so I am looking out through big windows

Its a beautiful clear day and I can see Red Mountain with fresh snow and the hills next to it. Great backcountry terrain. It's so close I can almost touch it

At least it's Friday...

Teaching 75minutes a day and you are looking out the windows to the mountains...

deja vu?

Are you living in Takayama or Canada now? ;\)

It's cloudy warm day probably rain later here. Boring... demo, I go ski shopping today, that's ok.

Are you fully recovered, Toque?

Have a good weekend. \:\)

Yah my life hasn't changed that much

Only thing that has is that I don't drink nearly as much as I used to

I'll take my camera to school next week and get a picture of my view

I'm good for skiing now

Hoping to get out climbing again next week. Walking is still hurting a bit so climbing might be a bad thing. But my evenings are getting boring without it

What skis will you buy?

Toque, FT, EBC, other skiers, I need a help...

Which to buy?? confused.gif

@Volkl Aura 163 with Marker M900EPS- 73,500yen

5437.jpg

5438.jpg

@K2 Nancy 169 with Marker 12.0 Free WB- 63,000yen

5144.jpg

5145.jpg

or Salomon Scarlet but I don't think I want those asymmetrical graphics...

I want Aura with Marker 12.0 Free WB but it'll be more expensive and also heavier... hmm...

confused.gif

I've got this years 1080 Guns which apart from the top sheet are the same as the Scarlets. In powder they rock, in everything else they cope Ok.

The closest I've skied to your other choices is the Volkl Gotama, while it is a very different ski to the 1080, it didn't have any more float in the pow in spite of it's extra length and width.

Myself, I quite like the Scarlet Graphics - even more than this years Gun graphics. \:D

Not sure this will be helpful tho!

Thanks, JM. Are you working at rapie in Hakuba? ;\)

I called Rapie this evening and the shop guy explained me those differences exactly same way, Gotama and Guns.

He also recommended Salomon, easier to ride than Volkl.

but but but but... I don't think I feel comfortable with those asymmetrical? graphics... They look like you jumped out of bed for powder early morning and grabbed two different skies by mistake...

Gotama didn't have good float? What about K2 Seth? Are they good in powder?

Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
Toque, FT, EBC, other skiers, I need a help...
Which to buy?? confused.gif

@Volkl Aura 163 with Marker M900EPS- 73,500yen
5437.jpg
5438.jpg

@K2 Nancy 169 with Marker 12.0 Free WB- 63,000yen
5144.jpg
5145.jpg

or Salomon Scarlet but I don't think I want those asymmetrical graphics...
I want Aura with Marker 12.0 Free WB but it'll be more expensive and also heavier... hmm...
confused.gif
I don't know anything about any of those skis
Sorry
Don't buy for graphics alone
 Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
Thanks, JM. Are you working at rapie in Hakuba? ;\)
I called Rapie this evening and the shop guy explained me those differences exactly same way, Gotama and Guns.
He also recommended Salomon, easier to ride than Volkl.
but but but but... I don't think I feel comfortable with those asymmetrical? graphics... They look like you jumped out of bed for powder early morning and grabbed two different skies by mistake...
Gotama didn't have good float? What about K2 Seth? Are they good in powder?
lol, that wasn't me at Rapies! lol.gif . I'm just skiing here.

Actually the Gotama's had good float! My comment was because I was surprised that my Guns, which have specs of 174cm 130/96/128, had as much float as my mates Gotamas which were 190cm 133/105/124 (approx).

The Guns are a much softer and lighter ski and are much more forgiving, the Gotamas were much better in the rough stuff and at speed. On piste the Guns were easier, probably because they had more side cut.

In Japan I am skiing a lot of tight trees so I prefer the manoeuvrability of the Guns. In wide open bowls the Gotamas would rock.

I don't know anything about the Aura's, so my comments about the Gotamas may not be helpful. This site had some nice things to say about the Aura's: http://www.theskidiva.com/forums/archive/index.php/f-11.html

People I know who own Seth's rate them. A mate with Seth Pistol's and I both rode the Guns (and a bunch of other skis) on a demo day last year and he preferred his Seth's to any of the skis he tried.

If you *did* go for the Scarlet's (you could go for the Guns, IMHO the top sheet is more girly than the Scarlets!) be aware that you get a two year warranty (in Canada at least) if you use Salomon bindings.

Slow --- don't buy the Salomon Scarlets, just don't buy Salomon full stop. Out of the Auras and the Nancys - get the K2 Nancys, they are Seths for girls, same ski, maybe a bit of a softer flex. I think they'll be heavy with Marker bindings though, have you used Markers before? Also, DO NOT buy Rossignol skis or bindings, very heavy.

I think you'll like the flex on the K2 Nancys.... or LINE celebrity http://www.backcountry.com/store/LIN0074/c/s/Line-Celebrity-Alpine-Ski.html?id=nPwYrrLa

Volkl might be a bit too stiff for you, i think the flex on a women's LINE or K2 ski would be good.

Just make sure you don't buy heavy bindings, incase you want to hike in the spring with them on a pack or something... and just in general heavy bindings aren't so fun.

I use Salomon S912ti's on my Public Enemys - but i've broken these bindings twice landing hard.... so i'm not sure i'd definitely reccommend them either, but they are light (look for the ones that say 'ti'... titanium) but then again, i don't think you'll be doing that on your skis, since you want these for powder, right? I'm sure you wouldn't break them.

You don't just have to look at girls skis either.... none of my skis are specifically for girls, i highly highly reccommend the LINE prophets (they make them with 90 and 100 waists.. and smaller but you don't want smaller than that)... the only thing you have to watch for, is the lengths they make some of these skis in.. i don't know what height you are? can you PM me your height and weight??

I skied the K2 Phatluvs last year on a bc trip and didn't like them at all.... just my personal preference. I didn't ski them on powder though.

I think you should look for a ski about the same height as you, with 90-95 waist (if you would even consider some hiking in spring with them?) and something with a medium flex, which is quite light weight. LINE skis are super light.

check this french site http://www.skipass.com/guide-matos/ski/2007/ for listings of lots of this years skis ---- check under freeride, freestyle, and backcountry freestyle.

also when are you in hakuba next? you could take a look in rapies too?