Hi wave.gif spenshal-Mechanic-triplet here.

Good to find all you guys and gals.

I've always had Rossignol gear and I always look at theirs when I'm thinking of buying new stuff before other brands. Don't know why just like the gear I've had from them in the past and really like them.

A Japanese skier-friend is the same with Fischer.

Anyone else like that? I suppose if there's no particular reason it's silly, but...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I very much favour certain brands

But if I see a good deal on something else I know is good then I will by that. But I like to stick to the brands I know and trust.

Arteryx and MEC are good examples.

And I try to stay away from buying for fashion.

I used to have a Rossignol thing going on when I was younger. Nowadays I've given up on that (wasn't as keen on them in recent years) but pretty much stick to brands that have good reputations.

I'm not a fan of Salomon skis. Overpriced and I just don't like the way they ski.

For clothing I don't even look at many of th cheaper brands. There are so many start up companies that don't make good products. I'm a cheap guy but I like quality first and formost

Somehow I don't like Salomon skis either. The first few days they ski great but after 2 weeks they already seem to lose their bounce. Anja Paerson skis on Fischers with a Salomon logo.

Atomic skis: many skis straight out of the factory, even limited edition racemodels need heavy tuning before they are good. general problem: concave base.

you don't notice this as they are skiable but after some grinding/tuning you will notice the improvement.

Marker bindings: I have broken some bones through malfunctioning of brand new Markers and I know more people who had this problem.

i want the best stuff, on sale, usually at least half price - and it's not that difficult, 80% of all my gear i bought pretty cheap... although the beacons weren't on sale, we got them through a friend on a pro deal \:D ... so no real brand loyalty, companies don't make any money from people like me and captain stag!

i got the same skis as toque but a year or so older... i love them, boy they can go fast!

Oakley - way overpriced and too much of a fashion statement. I am a Smith man, still pricey but they make great stuff - especially 'Sliders'.

I have 2 pair - one 9 years old and one 5 years old, the older pair are quite beat but the newer pair are still in mint cond.

They are well built and have great lenses.

Atlantis snowboards - dont know about new ones but the old ones are indestructable, 8 seasons on my Atlantis - rocks in Nz, nothing can destroy that board, recent boards seem flimsy and fragile, just ask Davo.

Clothing: most stuff with goretex, although not specifically a brand-name of clothing it still beats other membrane/chemical materials for breathability and robust wear.

Hate to admit it, but I haven't gone wrong with Columbia gear either. Got a jacket seven years ago and it's still as good as new. Their gloves tend to be reasonably priced and long wearing as well.

Ski's: Gonna get a new set of K2's - when they are on special. (To date, never had problems with Marker bindings Sanno.)

Boots: Had nothing but problems with off the shelf ones, so splurged out and got custom moulded jobs ... mmm, just like slippers!

Quote:
Boots: Had nothing but problems with off the shelf ones, so splurged out and got custom moulded jobs ... mmm, just like slippers!
Definitely, it's a must. I remember my first pair of boots, they were really screwing me feet up now. My feet hated me back then, they're much happier now.