Learned the hard way. My foot is still very much not fixed yet.

Walking 22km in skate shoes with 15-20kg on your back is not recomended.

But the rewards most certainly are.

Here are a few pictures from my weekend trip into the Karasawa Valley out of Kamikochi.

Rainy season my ass. Beautiful weather.

These pictures were taken by Crazyski who posts here sometimes. He is visiting from America. Crazy and another friend climbed OkuHotaka and took these pictures on their ascent.

Climbing up the couloir between the 2nd and 3rd subpeaks of MaeHotaka

blpic42367.jpg

I skied the middle finger. Off falline, narrow and steep. Real fun. I had to side slip which is actually harder than turning through the narrowest part.

blpic42368.jpg

Opening it up a where the couloir widens.

blpic42369.jpg

blpic42370.jpg

blpic42371.jpg

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did climb up the entire thing. Was fun near the top as I had to bury the ax right up to the blade and then pull myself up 2 steps and repeat. Fun times.

Matt is coming out this weekend. I'll give him a kick and see how loud he screams.

He borrowed my gear for a run and had a good time. It was his first time on AT gear and skins. He is a really good skier though and looked good.

I'm not good at judging angle. Maybe it was. I have pictures from my camera that I have to get developed. Gives a skiers perspective.

I did feel pretty good. Once it gets steep the natural happy drugs kick in so I was able to go up quickly. I just set little goals. Go to the next crack in the snow or the next rock. Catch my breath for a few seconds and then keep going. I was sitting in the col 90 minutes after starting which felt pretty good.

I could have taken my bag off at one of the cracks at the downhill side is usually flat. Could even have crawled in for protection but I wasn't very tired at the time.