Well that's the way I feel at least. I don't want to quit for the season but having skied this line I feel that if the weather doesn't cooperate with my plans then I can end the season with a clear conscence

This was the line at the beginning of May during Golden Week.

blpic41827.jpg

This was the line on June 5 at sunrise taken from the same place. Just a month later. A bit less snow.

blpic41815.jpg

I couldn't let this line go and so on June 7th I took a day off work and went back.

It started with a nice warm up skin traverse all the way around. I didn't try to gain or loose any elevation.

blpic42011.jpg

An hour after starting I was at the base of the couloir. The dogleg or S-Curve blocks the view that I needed to see. I still didn't know if it was skiable. Crampons. ice-axe and helmet came out and skis were attached to my bag

blpic42006.jpg

After an hour of front pointing up the couloir the clouds came in. Took this photo thinking it might be my last in visability. It cleared up a few minutes later of course. But this is near the top looking down. Looks scary.

blpic42007.jpg

And now the fun part

The top wasn't so steep and wasn't worth getting the camera out but about halfway down it get's really interesting.

This section is about 50 degrees and off fall-line. You can see my footprints coming up. The couloir curves to the left out of sight before the rocks at the bottom

blpic42013.jpg

After the steep off fall-line part the crux is reached. Probably about 3-4 metres wide. Only problem was getting out of the way of my wet sluff that poured down with a bit of speed. This was really fun. I like skinny lines like this.

blpic42009.jpg

And quickly it was over. Looking up from the bottom to the crux and steep off fall-line pitch just above. Lots of fun and I want to ski it again next year.

blpic42010.jpg

This is the line with my route thanks to Fattwins artistic capabilities

blpic41828.jpg

And because many of my friends were working I emailed this to tell them I was having a good time

while resting after skiing the couloir

blpic42012.jpg

After making tiny little turns in the couloir I wanted a little speed so skinned all the way back to the other side of the huge bowl and then to the top of this little bump. Some nice big turns and then a little fun at the bottom.

blpic42004.jpg

I managed to make 2 or 3 turns down this tight thing with tips and tail scraping before lining it out onto the skin track below. Good thing it was a weekday or I would have taken about 10 people out with me.

blpic42005.jpg

And that is that

Can't wait to get back out there

Sweet lines toque.

I have a skier friend who'd love that kind of run. He's almost always barrelling through super-narrow tree lines. Whenever I try to follow him I am always picking leaves and branches from my jacket afterwards.

I think our season really ended with the Yari-trip, stuff after that was just not as good..

It was mid-terms at my school so rather than sit on SJ all day I took a day off.

I can only do this when I don't have classes. So not very often except for most of December, March, August and a few other days.

Thanks guys

I really don't want to quit. As long as the weather doesn't crap out I'll probably get a few more days in. There should still be enough snow out there I think. Definitly enough in the Tateyama area but I don't really want to go back there.

Next up is a fun line in the Karasawa Valley this weekend

Yes I worry all the time. But that keeps me in check. I tend to analize the conditions a lot more and take things a little slower making sure that safety is the number 1 thing.

I'm not doing these trips solo by choice. More that I can't get people to come with me on some of them.

Yeah I've been settling in over here with the (now somewhat) new job and all. Popped in to post a random msg once or twice but yeah... not too much \:\)

And as for quitting... until the last small patch of slightly discoloured snow has been properly digested, there's always something more the season has to offer \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sven:

And as for quitting... until the last small patch of slightly discoloured snow has been properly digested, there's always something more the season has to offer \:\)
you mean like this?
1567.jpg

(a friend was hiking at kagura last weekend and took the photo)

That's great Montoya

I hope those people arn't coming out from the big city to ride that

I am going skiing this weekend. Back into the Karasawa to get a steep line. Will be interesting to see how much it has changed since I was last in there nearly a month ago.