• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember seeing them in Japan, but studded tires kick ass on ice. I used them for 5 months this past winter and never had a problem. Generally, if it's below -10C, ice is pretty safe to drive on. It actually becomes somewhat sticky. It's when temps are between -10 and 0 that things get dangerous. Slow and easy is really the only rule that applies.

There really isn't much you have to do to a car until the temps get below -12.2222222222223 Celsius (I used a converter - that's 10F). A good idea is to use a heavier weight oil and heavier weight lube for your bearings and moving parts. In Alaska, everyone has block heaters for their engines also. When it gets cold, you just plug your car in and it keeps the engine warm and helps reduce emissions on start up. Doubt that is an option in Japan though. It's funny when I first got up here - I was wondering why there were little cords hanging out of the front grill of cars. Makes it look like male and female cars.

I think most important is keep your distance, drive slowly and don't make last minute decisions. I have missed a few turns or going into spins (did a nice 360 once) hitting black ice. Just cause you can't see ice doesn't mean it ain't slippery.

The snow tyres are pretty good, as far as I am aware you can't use snow chains in Hokkaido on a car. Especially in a city. Sapporo has a good snow removal system so driving ain't to bad, I found the footpaths to be slipperier.

If you are hiring a car, maintanence is zero. Most cars sold locally (Hokkaido) come with snow tyres (2 sets 1 for summer and 1 for winter), low temp window washer etc and sometimes Auto starters, always have to warm the car up for a while before we go anywhere and this saves you going outside into the cold before you have to.

Snow tires and no chains for this boy. If its icy and you need chains and snow tires at the same time I figure its time to park your car. Just remember that its the other guy that is the most dangerous. give double the distance that you usally give and dont rush. Gear down instead of using your brakes also.

Just a question,

we are always told to gear down instead of using our brakes

Why???

Unless i lock up my wheels, i see no point in avoiding using my brakes. by braking rather than gearing down, people with 2wd will kill speed with 4 wheels rather than on 2.

I know all about gearing down while going downhill, this question is not about abusing your brakes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderpants:
Just a question,
we are always told to gear down instead of using our brakes
Why???
I was wondering the same thing after going to NZ last year.

Been told two reasons, the first is control which apparently results from the engine helping to counteract some of the speed.

The second is to reduce brake fading which is more severe due to the high temperatures from braking followed directly by the low alpine temperatures.

It has to do with keeping control of the car, the same reason why you never press your brakes inside a turn.

I guess you can imagine what will happen if you lock up your wheels inside a turn. Now if you are on an icy road, you might find yourself in the situation were after braking hard the cars starts doing 360`s. What you need to do in this case is to turn the handle towards the opposite side that your car is spinning and lower the speed of your car by gearing down. Your wheels in this case keep on spinning so you can still steer your car, while your cars speed is lowered from the engine and not from the friction between the tires and the road.

It is more or less the same reason why ABS lets your wheels spin at fractions of a second while braking.

Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:
I can't remember seeing them in Japan, but studded tires kick ass on ice.
I'm pretty you can't use studded tires here.
Might be different prefecture to prefecture though. I know I can't use them in Gifu

In Canada you are not allowed to really use them either. I can understand why you can use them in Alaska though.

As for brakes I tend to brake and gear down. I used to love my standard car for this cause it did it so smooth. Just remember that people tend to stomp the brakes in an panic, so try to safe off of them so much.

Im always more worried about the other guy in front or behind or comeing towards me.

Visibility is a big issue.

Make sure you have some blue antifreeze in your wiper tank. 100% antifreeze works well. You also need to have a window scraper to hand. Before you think about going anywhere, allow at least 5 minutes to scrape your windows. It may be a good idea to put a blanket or something over your windscreen at night.

When you drive in a blizzard, don't put your high beam on, and don't get fooled into thinking that you're not actually moving. Keep half an eye on the speedo to make sure you're not actually going at 160 kmph.

Remember that 4-wheel drive is no guarantee of anything. Practically the only advantage it has over 2-wheel drive is getting started where there's ice. Otherwise it offers little or no extra control.

And get the goddamn snow off your roof before you start! The person behind you doesn't really want to get hit on the windscreen by a giant slab of snow.

Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:
Your wheels in this case keep on spinning so you can still steer your car, while your cars speed is lowered from the engine and not from the friction between the tires and the road.
Tsondaboy, thanks for your post.
I am not trying to be a fly facker but your speed is ALWAYS lowered from the friction between tire and road regardless of using engine or brake.
I do see your point in not locking up your wheels, espicially in the turns. Locking up can be easy for some
You should never use your brakes in turns, summer or winter. also stay away from the brake on those long trips down the mountain, you end up like Takuma San last night in Montreal, smoking brakes that were no good.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderpants:
your speed is ALWAYS lowered from the friction between tire and road regardless of using engine or brake.
Friction will always be present but going downhill gravity kicks in hard. Then the only viable option to not ruin your car is gearing down. you still have to use the brakes but a lot less then in standard gear.

A friend of mine was driving back from from Val dÍsere to Tignes just after a succesfull interview with a guiding operator and there was lots of snow on the road. So he stopped and took his snowchains out of the back.

Then another car stops and his new boss gets out. He grabs the snowchains and throws them deep into the valley and tells my friend "You're a mountain man, mountain men don't need chains".

Guess I am not a mountain man.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanno:
A friend of mine was driving back from from Val dÍsere to Tignes just after a succesfull interview with a guiding operator and there was lots of snow on the road. So he stopped and took his snowchains out of the back.
Then another car stops and his new boss gets out. He grabs the snowchains and throws them deep into the valley and tells my friend "You're a mountain man, mountain men don't need chains".

Guess I am not a mountain man.
French people are weird :p Notice how few you see in Japan? Maybe they're smart.....who knows ;\)

It totally depends on the car. How stupid. I used chains all the time in Oregon out of necessity when I went to the mountains. Mt. Man or not - ya gotta make it up somehow and bare rubber just won't work sometimes.

Question - Do they have Blizzaks in Japan (or Canada or Europe)? Supposedly, they are the best snow tire on the market. They were just introduced 2 seasons ago. Studded tires without the metal studs (if that makes sense). Heard they wear out quick though and they are expensive. People here in interior Alaska swear by them - say they're just as good as studs. I just bought studs. 40 bucks a tire vs. 100 a tire. Besides, my Jeep looks bad ass with studs on \:D

Blizzaks are Japanese tyres. Snow tyres in Japan are now generically known as 'studless tyres'. You see so few chains in Japan because of studless tyres. According to friends who were in Nagano before studs were banned, the air in winter was thick with fragged asphalt and the snow by the sides of the road was pitch black.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Blizzaks are Japanese tyres. Snow tyres in Japan are now generically known as 'studless tyres'. You see so few chains in Japan because of studless tyres. According to friends who were in Nagano before studs were banned, the air in winter was thick with fragged asphalt and the snow by the sides of the road was pitch black.
I kind of figured that but wasn't certain. Their 'studless snow tire' has been a huge hit here in the last two years. I was too cheap to buy any kind of snow tire in Japan even though I was making bank. People drove so slow and the streets were so narrow that it didn't seem to be a big need for me. Could have used them on the ski trips though. I made my friends drive mostly though lol.gif

There is no reason to ban studs in AK though. The damn roads are so messed up from permafrost that studs don't seem to do any more damage. Plus, I believe studs are the best on icey roads - especially when you deal with them for 5 months straight. Never noticed the black roadside snow 'tearing up the road' thing here. It gets so cold here that logic and physics cease to exist from late Nov thru April. \:\)

It took me a while to get used to driving in the different kinds of snow conditions here over winter, and looking back I was probably quite dangerous to myself and others at the beginning.

Practice.

Quote:
Originally posted by sakebomb:
Improving my fitness and enjoying the fresh morning air.

How are you feeling now Yama? \:\( ;\)
ahhhh, sweet...theres something nice about waking up early and working out eh? I was dead exhausted and still drunk at work Sun morn from partying Sat night \:o

Quote:
Originally posted by blinkin'ek:
It took me a while to get used to driving in the different kinds of snow conditions here over winter, and looking back I was probably quite dangerous to myself and others at the beginning.

Practice.
I wonder why is it that people in Sapporo have so much practice but are the worst at driving in snow?? wakaranai.gif