I've been reading this site and forum for a while now, but next winter we are going to visit Japan for 10 days or so of snowboarding action.

There's a ton of reading! 1 thing I'm interested in is the amount of snow that falls, looks incredible.

Whats the most snow you've seen fall over there in a 24 hour period?

I'm not sure what the biggest dump in the mountains was, but I did experience a couple of 30 inch + (approx 75 cm) dumps in the coastal town of Misawa (Northern Pacific Honshu). This usually happened over a 6-12 hour period. I can only imagine what the mountains received when the town was getting hammered by blizzards. It was hard to know, however, since all of the roads were essentially shut down for a couple days after dumps like this.

Japan gets a ton of snow but it usually comes pretty late (I consider mid to late December late). Best bet for deep and good pow is mid Jan thru March.

In February this season I think there was 3 days of crazy snow in Niigata and Nagano areas maybe. (If you check commentary on the now pages of daily center here you might find it information). It was most in long time I think.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/shownow1.php?month=02&year=2005&town=Yuzawa%20Now!

Tuesday 1st February 2005, 6:59PM

Crazy snow at the moment, it is really coming down and has been since this morning. There has probably been about 70cm since last night, and there's another 30-50cm forecast from now until 9am tomorrow, and up to 90cm before tomorrow night!! (There are big queues on Route 17 at the moment and the expressway is closed. There are bound to be more traffic problems into tomorrow with such heavy snow - take care!) Out of interest, this season is seeing the most snow fall in the Nagaoka region of Niigata for 20 years.

I'd like to know how many people actually went on the slopes in that 3-5 day period when it was just mad. I sure wouldn't want to be out there in a full on blizzard.