Try glucosamine sulphate... won't stop you ripping a cruciate ligament, but may help preserve the joint cartilage so you can ski into your golden years \:\)

One of my ski buddies wears a knee brace, as he did his ACL a few years back, and was able to ski (well) without having it repaired for years. He had it repaired last year, and still wears the brace for insurance...

Snowboarding alone is not the answer.

I tore cartilage in both knees snowboarding the moguls. I was just getting good at it, too.

Toque has the right idea, and I wish every day was a powder day.

What can you do to save your knees? That's easy...don't abuse them.

;\)

Did you have any operation on the cartilage badmigraine? I guess it is a miracle you can still ride. I also enter the Moguls a lot with the snowboard but usually what it gets tired is the abdominal muscles. In the mogul field I mostly tern the board with my waist and not that much with my legs.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanno:
Moguls don't have to be bad for your knees. If you have the proper technique, control and timing.

The problem is getting to that level and being always in control.
I do not believe that at all. Far to much abuse.

Ban Moguls!!!!

In Japan it seems that you can either be a racer or a mogul skier \:\( A few rebels have turned away from the structure of the Japanese ski machine however not nearly enough to eat up the powder days after a storm.

I hate the things. Bashed far to many of them. I like big turns and going fast.

Knees! my right knee (rear foot on the deck) is swollen and tired from 3 powder days in a row, putting the weight on the rear foot to keep the nose up in the pow and also it compensates for my troublesome left knee. Overworked and not helped by some crappy jump landings and being iced as I type.

sigh.

got myself a knee brace on the weekend after bunging my knee again... it was slightly discounted too, although captain stag reckons it's not really something you wait to buy on sale lol.gif not that i was any good anyway, but i think i'll save my knees for the powder and maybe forget about trying table stuff (good excuse really, i don't have to admit i really suck ;\) )

diclofenac is an anti-inflammatory, usually a pharmacy only medicine. My stocks are from NZ.

Cataflam tablets (novartis) - for the relief of acute painful and anti- inflammatory conditions.

CATAFLAM is a powerful medicine for the relief of acute painful and inflammatory conditions. Each CATAFLAM tablet contains 25mg of diclofenac potassium. CATAFLAM is not available in many countries without a prescription. In New Zealand it can be purchased from a pharmacy in packs of 30. We strongly recommend that CATAFLAM be taken directly after a meal. Never take CATAFLAM on an empty stomach, as this may cause gastric discomfort. Onset of pain relief is usually within 15 to 30 minutes If you suffer from a stomach ulcer DO NOT TAKE CATAFLAM. CATAFLAM is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (nsai). If you have ever had an allergic reaction or asthma attack after taking diclofenac, or any other anti-inflammatory medicine such as aspirin, do not take CATAFLAM. CATAFLAM is particularly effective against the following medical complaints: Sprains and Strains Bruises Neck Pain Back Pain Period Pains Migraine Headaches Post Operative Pain (e.g. Dental or Minor Surgery)

A quick search shows its quite easy to buy online.also comes in ointment form, I have "Voltaren" gel. voltaren.jpg

Quote:
Moguls don't have to be bad for your knees. If you have the proper technique, control and timing.

The problem is getting to that level and being always in control.
Heh...the same could be said of walking the highwire, or juggling flaming chainsaws. No problem at all if you never screw up.

\:D
 Quote:
Originally posted by keba:
 Quote:
Celecoxib - now that's the stuff
Until you have a heart attack! eek.gif
damn those cox2 complications...does a family history make it worse?

Oh, meet a couple of friends of mine:
Mr MVP and his Bro MVP new model.. Ebay can be your friend even if the post takes 4 months...

I now have 2. One for the reconstructed knee and one for the good knee. I know its a bit over the top, but 8 months of rehab and the operation are not where I want to go again. And a redo is much more likely to have a bad outcome.

http://www.gallbrosmedical.com.au/htdocs/Innovation/mvp.html

Reducing anterior draw is a good thing...trust me (anterior draw is a test to see if your anterior cruciate is intact. Instability and large anterior draw imply ruptured cruciate)

[Reduction of the anterior drawer of the knee joint by rehabilitation orthoses. Comparison of the MVP orthosis vs. the Donjoy-Gold point orthosis]

Rupp S, Lanta P, Schulz H.

Orthopadische Universitatsklinik Homburg/Saar.

In 20 patients with chronic anterior instability of one knee, two rehabilitation braces (MVP, Donjoy-Gold point) were tested for their ability to limit tibiofemoral translation. A KT-1000 arthrometer was used to quantify the anterior drawer. Both braces significantly reduced passive anterior drawer at 67 N, 89 N and maximal manual shear load and also active anterior drawer. Without a brace the mean anterior drawer was 12.3 mm (67 N), 14.4 mm (89 N), 17.2 mm (maximal manual drawer) and 9.1 mm (active drawer). With the MVP brace the mean anterior drawer was 6.8 mm (67 N), 8.5 mm (89 N), 11.0 mm (maximal manual drawer) and 6.8 mm (active drawer). With the Donjoy brace the mean anterior drawer was 9.2 mm (67 N), 11.0 mm (89 N), 13.1 mm (maximal manual drawer) and 7.4 mm (active drawer). Control values for the non-injured opposite knee were 6.5 mm (67 N), 7.2 mm (89 N), 8.1 mm (maximal manual drawer) and 5.6 mm (active drawer). In direct comparison, the MVP brace provided better stabilization than the Donjoy-Gold point brace did.