Hello folks.

I'm interested to hear about peoples first time on either skis or board. Seems a fair few started here in Japan, while others have been 'doing it' for much longer.

I remember my first pathetic attempt. I perhaps shouldn't have enjoyed it given that I was embarrassingly bad and spent the next few days with aches pains and bruises, but I did.

First time on a board was here in Japan. Fell over heaps, but loved it. My mate lent me his spare ski-suit, which I gladly accepted. Only now do I realize it was an old ski-instructors suit from the 80s. Bright purple, and a big hole in the crotch! lol.gif I didn't know the difference at the time, but shit I must have looked really dasai!

First and only time on skis was in Niseko in spring many years ago. Some friends of mine were attempting to teach me, but the language barrier and a general lack of understanding the technique doomed this escapade to failure. It was still entertaining - in retrospect.

Two years later I returned to Hokkaido with a snowboard and rode it for the first time at Kiroro. Been boarding ever since.

First time was a company trip (to Niigata), I didn't wan't to go. People told me it was like surfing and that I would have no problem. I had no idea how to do or prepare for snow sports. I stayed out on the hill from first lift to last completely embaarassing my co-workers. I've been hooked ever since.

I will miss it when I move back home!!

Age 6 was when I first saw snow. My first night in England, and there were these magical flakes falling out of the dark sky, through the lamplight, and carpeting the ground. Instant addiction.

Learned to ski age 23 at Formigal, in the Spanish Pyrenees. I was pretty motivated, and came 2nd out of about 60 in the ski school slalom at the end of the first week. My only ever sporting result, I still have the medal.

I'd never seen snow till I came to Japan 10 years ago. Two weeks after arriving my first ever time in the snow was on skis at Maiko ski jo. I picked it up in about a day without too many aches. Moved onto boarding the following season and got the hang of it in about a day, too but with plenty of aches and pains.

Growing up in South Africa did not lend itself much to playing in snow - I'd only seen the stuff about 3 times before arriving in Japan. Went to pay a visit to a friend who lives in Tahoe(california) and thought at age 28 I was too old to get into such malarky - thought I would just give it a whirl down the side of his driveway or something and reminisce about skateboarding. Luckily he had different ideas and two weeks later I had ditched half my luggage and was getting back on the plane with a very oblong bag...

sum total of my first lesson:

Me: "so like what am I supposed to do when I get to the top of this lift thing????"

J: "don't eat the yellow snow!"

My first time was age of 22 if I remember right. Kinda late start in Myoko Akakura. It was a ski tour from uni to get a credit lol...

Terrible could not stop good, could not turn correct. I was getting pissed of at the end of the first day because could not do anything good only felt pain here and there coz fell down a lot but it was not others' fault so just stayed nice smiling a bit.

But a 4 days' lesson worked good, I got addicted to this sport and saved some to come back each and every year until I graduated from the uni.

\:\)

I was 4 when I first put on skis. Can't remember much from that experience except that I didn't take lessons after this first week for the next 10 years. Leaning backwards was the way to go!

When I was 16 I tried snowboarding for the first time. The easy slope from a skiers perspective suddenly became a rather steep run on a snowboard. I fell on my neck twice but I managed to take the draglift to the top 3 times without falling out. A few years later I learned how to survive on a snowboard.

Four days in Falls Creek for a snowboard experience. First day I felt pain all over but gritted the teeth and beared the next day too. I still tell people snowboarding has such a steep learning curve. I was getting air (huge air I don't think so) on the fourth day. Hooked.

When i was 18 I spent a season in Canada having never skied before, i went with one of my friends, thought i'd see what Whistler was like. My very first day was on something almost completely flat, it was the middle of a blizzard when i couldn't see more than about 2 feet in front of my face, and by the end of the first hour i was freezing cold and soaking wet... but i was totally determined i was going to be good at "this skiing caper." I skied 94 days in a row after that, and haven't stopped since :p Skiing is the long lost love of my life...

Actually Toque, I could board "the big volcano" a few days a year. Not the best snow and no lifts but possible! A short flight to Tahoe or Whistler might also be a good idea.