I will be entertaining some clients next January in Tokyo and am hoping to organise a luxury weekend out skiing with them. Anyone point me in the direction of resorts that fit in the "luxury" category - resort/hotel. Do they exist?

Kinda wierd question, but thanks anyway.

Emily.

Not into "posh" myself, but try the newer places that were built just before the bubble burst when they ploughed absurb amounts of money into new resorts.

ARAI springs to mind near Myoko.

Avoid the Prince hotels.

emily, if I was tackling that task, I'd at least look into staying at a good ryokan in one of the onsen towns with a ski resort.

Of course high-class ryokan doesn't necessarily equate with luxury - you still get yer 'ead down on the floor. But the style is generally memorable, and the food and bath should be good.

As to where to start looking, I can only recommend Nozawa Onsen having been there myself, but there must be other places too.

These links might help if you read Japanese. http://shinshu.online.co.jp/nozawa/ http://www.janis.or.jp/users/shiki/kamei.html

Of course, whether or not this is workable all depends on what sort of clients you have, and what sort of impression you want to make.

Grand Phenix in Okushiga.. is one of the most expensive.. and luxury is the word...

although its far from having Japense cultural experience .. and Okushiga only allows skiers...

If you are willing to splash out.. stay in Grand Phenix and then excursion out to local Onsen??

La Neige in Hakuba.. French antique furnitures and open fires.. luxury again.. then nothing to do with local Hakuba culture..???

If you factor in things like access, and terrain, here are my recommendations:

Arai: Modeled after Whistler. If you stay at any of the hotels (The Club being most expensive) the atomospher is posh. Very good choice of restaurants. Trails are also interesting. You can pay extra to hop on a gondola 45min. early to eat all the pows before anyone else. Shuttle bus pick up at Nagano station.

NASPA: Hotel is pretty good (New Otani) and access from Tokyo is 1hr on train, 10 min on the shuttle bus from Yuzawa. Skiers only resort but trails are few and do suck the big one! This place happens to be a destination of Tokyo American Club exec. ski trips.(figures!)

Personally, I can't stand to stay at any resort hotels - makes me feel like I am on a business trip, oops, it is a business trip for you. I prefer places like Kusatsu, Nozawa, Togakushi - the resorts sort of grew out of old Onsen regions, and which still maintains the traditional style atomosphere.