I am writing as a Niseko local who, like like many others around here have forsaken real lives to eke out livings at the base of mount Yotei so we can enjoy those few magical days each season when this place transcends the real world and becomes pure bottomless powder joy. We locals have shrugged our shoulders as the resort continued to grow to the outside world and bro lines shared among friends after years of exploring and experimentation became featured tourist attractions to be exploited for profitable gain. Though precious few of us finacially gain from these recent activities- content to enjoy the turns in solitude i suppose- we dont begrudge those who do as long as they do so with respect and a sense of what is best left unsaid. Until Now. Peter- You this is difficult for me to do as despite what I had heard I came forward to you this winter and instead of rejecting Snowave like so many others I tried to judge for myself. I found you to likable and having good spirit and an honest if somewhat zealous businessman. That is why it was such a shock to read this article about Iwani you had wrote. Iwani has been a locals oasis, a small , unprofitable resort that could only exsist in Japan with minimal customer and deep powder for those savvy enough to wait out its weather and on again off again lifts. Why did you have to let the cat out of the bag Peter? Niseko is already ****ed, why did you have to spoil this spot too? Why not keep it quite a little more, so It can be savoured by those adventurous enough to look over the next peak, those willing to take a chance to go to the unheard of town, the unknown resort and reap its spoils. The modern world is full of precious few surprises and true adventures and I just find it a little sad that this one too has been busted for the sake of a few moments of internet glory. Least you could have done was told us what you were up to mate, but then I wouldnt have went with ya.

Diggler

What are you ON about Derek B?

I wonder how you first found out about Niseko itself?

And how did the "locals" react when you went there?

And how would the area do without its winter sports income?

Sounds like something personal to me - whoever you and Peter are anyhow..........

And as a passionate local, why don't you write an article for us then called:

"Why Niseko is ****ed"

...so that we can all learn from your wisdom and maybe as a result boycott the place. I am interested in hearing why that is so.

I saw well done to Peter (I don't know him). I am always interested in hearing about places that I do not yet know.