I'm afraid that the signal might not be

the same signal used in Japan (I am in the

States).

Any backcountry reg'lars know if transceiver

signals are all the same or if there are

differences ?

muchos gracias

barok,

The international 457 Khz is also the standard in Japan, unless you have a really old one(227 khz? I don't remember). The popular brands used here are:

BCA, Autovox, SOS, Pieps, and Red

So what you get in US will work in Japan. Of course you need to know how to use it.

If you are looking into buying a walkie talkie, the frequencies are different.

Buying a super cool show off unit will cost heaps, upwards of 40,000 yen but a transceiver is only a back up to use after youve already screwed up big time so Id get something simpler.

I got an older model pieps opti four for 19,000 yen last year.

Still expensive but I paid a lot more for other equipment. Bindings ect. When you consider its something that could save your life it seems a bit cheaper.

There are two types of tranceivers (beacons), so called digital and analog. (This is not right forum to discuss the details - other sites will go very deep into the topic). But. analog tends to be chaper Peips Opti for about 2,2000. Autovox F1 Focus/Survival on snow (SOS) ~ 2,9000. Digital ones like BCA Tracker and Autovox M1/M2 run about 3,5000. If you have acontact in US, you can get cheaper.

Beacon itself won't do you any good, though. you also need a shovel and a probe AND the training to go along with it.

My experience is that the digital units always find the victem (in simulation) the fastest. We often divide analog and digital teams separate for training since digitals always out perform analogs by factor of 5 to 1 - there is no comparison. So if you want find your buried friend that much faster, get a digital beacon.

In cases of multiple burial, I heard that digital transceivers can be slower than analogue because you have to wait while they calculate the relative positions of the buried beacons. With analogue theres no waiting. You just have to have a good ear to separate the pips. Does anyone know if this is the case. . .

My experience in mutiple burial cases (on land or snow during training sessions) was given a training, digital finds the second burial faster than analog consistently. When I say digital, it is BCA tracker with signal strength filtering. Other beacons claim digital, but they are not true digital.

Check out Tech library on: http://www.bcaccess.com/fmain.html

If you are versed in analog search, there is no need to switch to digital. I am marely saying, if you are to decide which to buy, I recommend digital.

There are many outdoor shops, and groups do host avvy awareness classes in Fall. This is a great opportunity to lean how to use a beacon (you can't really practice with just one) as well as meet folks in the same mind sets.

Prey for Sky Hoy for mucho snow next season!

You guys are right about digital being better but like I said before the first priority is not getting buried in the first place.

Dont forget about 20% of avalanche victims die instantly from trauma i.e hitting stuff as you slide along with the snow ect.

Its better to have a cheap transciever than no beacon at all so if price isnt a problem go for digital but if money is an issue just get what you can afford and spend the extra cash on avalanche training.