Another topic starter. I sometimes got the impression that some resorts are less than up front about the truth.

As with how many advanced courses they have, the number of courses they have, the snow depth at their resort etc.

If there are no standards, they can make up their own rules to go by.

Hmmm. Any thoughts?

There doesn't seem to be a standard. I have seen the same resort featured in different Japanese magazines - one saying it had about 5 or 6 courses/runs more than other magazine.

Where's that coming from then?!

I think Japanese resorts are more honest about number of runs. You know many US resorts put multiple names on a sigle run like Upper XX, Middle XX and Lower XX and count them as 3 runs. I just look at their trail maps, don't really give a **it on what they bragg. But snow reports are somewhat of suspect, though. I don't know where they measure (top, middle, bottem). The best info. probably comes from Ski Japan Guide!

Pay 2000 yen. Buy the Japanese Ski Resort book that comes out every year. Look at the resort maps and the amount of vertical. If you like offpiste, look at the green bits. You can get a pretty good impression of what a resort is going to be like.

I agree with NoFakie, the book contains all the vital info.(HP, access, vertical, etc..) with aireal photos and even comes with very handy road map that covers all Honshu.