We have hiked up Fujisan two weekends in a row. If you are anywhere near, this is the time to ski. Snow is getting thin every day.

When we went on 18th, it was storming (rain/wind) and we only made it up to 8th station and only skied about 200m vertical. It was miserable! Last Saturday, 25th turned out more than the best we could hope for. During the week, it actually snowed at the top to 8th station and snow was in good shape (no poweder, though). I will see if I can put up some photos.

The blue ones are my friend's Salomon Pocket Rockets, 175cm don't know the dimensions, but they are fat. I had Rossi Bandits 168cm. They are fat/carving. He had Chili, and I had 7tm bindings. Since we didn't have light skis, so brought what we thought the lightest.

Cheers.

Two of us (fairy fit) took 5.5 hrs including rest stops. It gets harder after 8th station (altitude and rough trails). I think guide book show about 6.5 hrs an average in Summer.

Nice pix! The Reader's Gallery is coming along well. Those Niseko pictures are also quite poorly (that's British English for 'sick'). A while back I was wondering what the point of Niseko was, but I begin to 'get the picture' now.

What are the 'gelende' like on Fuji then? From the looks of it, there are few big open areas (how long are they?) and then what happens below them? Is it trees and rocks, or is there enough of a trail to go all the way down?

Ocean11,

There are two large snow banks seen on the first photo. The first one comes from center of the top curves to the right, the second one below. You ski about 900m vertical to 7th station then you have to hike down. Typically, you can ski to the parking on 5th station right about till now, but this year melted away pretty fast. Trails are very rocky and vegitation almost none. Since it has been snowing at the top this week, it may be icey up there.

I beleive we are in a cold spell(sort of) it snowed at Fujisan last week, too. When we were up there temp. was 25F. I also heard some snow in Northan Alps. Can anyone from Nagano qualify this?