Football fans - which is more important to you - boarding/skiing or football? They are close, but I've grown up on football since I was a wee scouser, so football wins out. The next month is going to be awesome.

[This message has been edited by scouser (edited 31 May 2002).]

That's what's called a 'loaded question', scouser mate.

I've spent my whole life having my sporting life intruded on by people who take sport too seriously. I used to like football but was something of a freak at school because I didn't know the rules. It was assumed, wrongly, by the sports teachers that you either learned the rules of football from your dad or from the telly. Seeing as we didn't have a telly and my dad also probably doesn't know the rules of football, the first time I understood the off-side rule was when I read about it in a newspaper article when the J-League started (satori!)The first football lesson wasn't 'Ok lads, these are the rules', it was 'Improving your passing', which wasn't much help.

As a result, the sports I like the most are the ones you can do by yourself, like cycling, swimming, and snowboarding. There's nothing better than ignoring what everybody else is doing and concentrating on doing what you CAN do, to improve, to satisfy yourself, to enjoy yourself. So to answer your question (in full), I've grown up with football all around me, but I still prefer snowboarding. Easily.

The next month is going to be full of shite, but entertaining nonetheless.

Spoken like a true passive football fan, Ocean!

Football is something all year round and such a great game that I've been with for over 20 years. So many memories, so many great matches.

But I'm gonna bow out and deliver the "can't compare" excuse on this one!

[This message has been edited by Wizz (edited 31 May 2002).]

Football'z part of being a scouser.

You just have to make that biggest decision of life at an early age

- Liverpool or Everton

A somewhat jaded response, but, actually, I concurr wholeheartedly. Sports at school was pretty elitist, once chosen as a supreme athlete one was nutured, not chosen, left to pick up the scraps. (the same could also be said for education, but then, I was chosen...). Like Ocean, I left team sports for the loner life of mountain sports, martial arts, etc. Gave me a great sense of independence, but, er, my teamwork sucks. (a quality that REALLY goes down well in the Japanese office).

Anyway, point is, I cant help being a little excited by the world cup, and even enjoy a good game of soccer, even though I dislike team sports. Hate the olympics, but the world cup seems somewhat more honest.

Where did you lot go to school then hey? Very different where I was. Oh well, each to his own.

I'm going to shut up now and watch the France game.

Have a good one

In the West of Scotland we didn't even have the luxury of choice, Scouser. If born to a Catholic family, then Celtic was your team. If Protestant, then you were brought up to support Rangers. It's like that in Manchester too, isn't it? Perhaps not so extreme though. I'm surprised Liverpool wasn't the same.