Which resorts are the go in Gunma ken? I have a mate going to live in Maebashi from the end of July and am planning on sleeping on his couch for a while. I have heard Goryu Tomi is OK? Any others?

Ones I've been to:

To the east of Numata....

Tenjinadaira - snall

Kawaba - decent day out

Marunuma Kogen - like this place, early season

To the west....

Kusatsu (skiers place)

Manza

I have never actually been to Gunma ski resort, but I heard that in Oze/Houdaigi/Marunuma area the snow is very good.

Marunuma is about 40 minutes drive from Numata IC of the Kanetsu Expressway.

Good drive when no snow over to Tochigi and Nikko region.

When we were in Japan we thought about going to some of the place in Gunma, but it just didn't seem worth it with the travel involved and everything.

I saw a video - Burton "Exit" with Craig Kelly riding Tenjindaira's off piste. It looked out of control. Just unbelieveable.

The video was two years old, but it was acres and acres of powder. Meadows with sparse trees and good sized drops.

Do they sweat the off-piste riders ?

You guys took your time. I knew I had to get a retort at some stage. Best pow on Honshu. Who knows, but I've had some damn deep and dry powder there over the years. As good as anywhere else I've boarded.

• 2 weeks later...

"Goryu Tomi"

I was just think about this one, and coming to thinking of it I have never heard of that resort... that's in Gunma??

confused.gif

[This message has been edited by akibun (edited 14 July 2002).]