TR: Tateyama POWDER!! April 23/24. Now with pictures

Do you like polls?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like polls?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

Pictures to come but Fattwins and I went up to Tateyama for some backcountry skiing and it was amazing.

We scored some pretty nice powder. It was about 10-15 cms deep. Really good.

Saturday the weather was kind of the poops but we were able to skin up over 2800 metres. Had to boot up some really hard ice to a ridge but it was pretty fun. The ski down was difficult in the clouds but the powder was pretty nice.

Sunday we awoke to bright blue ski and we spotted a beautiful line coming right off the summit of the 3000 metre peak Tateyama. 3 hours later and after a fun scramble up an icy ridge we were standing on the top and looking down at our line. The top part was pretty icy but lower down turned into really nice powder. AMAZING turns and a steep 700 metre descent back to camp

A really good weekend and I'm sporting a funny burn just along the top of my eyebrows where I didn't lather up.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a weekend toque! great weather on Sunday for sure. We bagged three very nice lines for sure. I do wish raichou zawa would have cleared up but them is the breaks. I want to hit that line again in clear weather.

The chute slash face off of tateyama was pretty nice really long line too. top was all about keeping an edge, but it was great cause it felt like ontario again. That powder about 150meters down was sick too. super high speed type powder. I can still remember telling you on the radio to giver on the way down. Cant wait untill thursday man its gonna be good.

Sounds like a fantastic trip! When we get a car Tateyama is definitely on the must-visit list.

We managed to hook up a ride so this GW we are gonna hit up Mt. Shibutsu in the Oozei-area of Gunma.

Sounds good post some pics when you do. Ill post the pics from toque when I get them. My dumb butt forgot my digi cam at toques house along with my sunglasses. FF was in fine form almost running out of gas on a dark and lonely road to Toques house also.

From Tokyo Montoya I would train it to nagano or matsumoto and bus it from there much easier to relax on the way home.

toque was fine all warm and toasty but the bag I had sucked poo. I was a bit cold and spent the nite in and out of sleep layering up.

the nite cleared and the temp dropped to minus 6 and dried up all the snow. That helped to keep the powder nice at least untill we skied it. I figure by 1 or 2 alot of the snow was turning bad. Saw lots of avies at about 2200meters due to solar heating. friday might see a bit more of spring like weather.

The icy descent off the summit. I kind of went a different way as we could tell this line was icy. Mine was just as icy so Fattwins decided to ski this one. Made it look good but the sounds were not so nice.

Just below where I was standing the snow turned to really nice fast powder.

blpic39404.jpg

This japanese guy insisted on putting his Pocket Rockets in our tent. We didn't want it there at first but he was very persistant. We just gave in in the end

Why you bother pointing crap out like that is beyond me but if it makes you cream in your pants pointing out spelling errors then by all means carry on