Downhill skiing was started by the English landed gentry who needed an excuse to extend their summer road trips into year rounders. (or was it something to do whilst their daughters, sisters and wives were being treated by sigmond?)

I think I'll bide my time a while on this one, but I like the direction miteyak is taking things with 'sigmond'. It might explain and anticpate the later development of Freddy Mercury-style skiwear...

English-the next world cup winners

Landed Gentry-individuals way up the food chain with nothing to do all year but beat peasants (terribly droll after a while) and drive around europe in their little open tops.

LG wives, daughters, sisters-bored dames with exceedingly vivid imaginations.

Sigmond-a man in Europe who got paid vast sums of money by the LG (males) to convince their nearest and dearest that intimate memories regarding their youth were in fact just fantasies, and, well, that uncle Winston...

miteyak...

i think you may have confused poor sachiko even more...

sachiko...for a straight answer, i think skiing actaully started in norway as a means of travel...

danz

Telemark, to be precise. Well, that's true for free-heel skiing.

Downhill skiing (in the 'get a free ride up the mountain' form we see today) was indeed started by the English vacationing in the alps. It was considered rather ponsey (soft) by the local 'ard men of the mountains who used skis only as a form of travel. They soon changed their tune when the realized they could earn a buck without chasing goats around a mountain from it.

Like tennis, although started by the English, you wouldn't know it. (Let's hope I don't have to add football to this!)

Do they have snow in Norway then?

lol.gif

I've seen some great pictures of places in Japan ages ago when they were "skiing" on wooden planks to get around, and climbing into 3rd floors of houses (the first and second floors were under snow). Must have been wild.