Hello everyone!

I read that some people think that Japan has too many lifts servicing the resorts here.

Why is that? Surely lots of lifts is a good thing? And are there actually lots of lifts (compared to other countries)?

the problem is they have too many lifts that are poorly placed, and no-real vertical...so its actually like having too few lifts, because only a select few are worth riding...

i also feel like they don't have enough high-speed quads here...and those single-chair lifts are soooooooo boring...

danz

The argument, as I remember it (and a fair one at that), was that moving too many people creates busy-busy slopes.

Circumstances have changed since back then when you could hardly see the snow because of all the people swarming all over the place. That's a far cry from resorts now for the most part.

True to its identity as a small and safety conscious resort, Wada Toge is installing a one-man teleporter. Not like that huge gateway affair I hear they're rigging up at the bottom of that icy chute at 47. I fear that dazed snowboarders arriving at the top dressed like Freddy Mercury can only result from that...

Going to have to say at many of the resorts there are not enough trails to support the lifts there. At Arai - they have this huge mountain with almost 900m vertical but only 8 trails. Get some more trails out there. Drove by Fujii Panaroma on the way back from Nagano and stopped by at this ski area next to the Chuo expressway. They pretty much had a 6-8 person gondola to the top of a 700m vertical mountain with only pretty much one way down. That is completely ridiculous. They need at least 10+ trails there and it would be a much more enjoyable experience.

Most other ski resorts outside Japan fully utilise every available acre of mountain side with cat tracks fanning out from the base station to collect skiers and boarders coming down from above.

Why don't they build cat tracks leading around the bases of the Happo and goryu ridges from the bottom stations. This could open up three or four times the current area with no added lifts or costs apart from the cat track.

At the moment you have to hike out at the bottom.

Just a suggestion...

[This message has been edited by Matt (edited 12 July 2002).]

• 3 weeks later...