Whats the most amount of snow youve seen fall in 1 night and in 24 hours in Japan? Here in NZ, the most I've seen overnight is about 35cm, with 70 in a 24 hr period once. I've heard stories of amazing snowfalls over in Japan, and was just wondering.......

regg

The most I have experienced in Japan is about 80cm fresh snow overnight. It was in Hakuba last season. That next day was just awesome.

Most I've seen must have been over a meter - whole cars completely disappeared under it. That was up in Myoko.

I've never experienced the huge drops, the most I've seen overnight is about 30cm. I've heard of the "over 100cm" overnight drops and would just love to see that.

I wasin yuzawa the season before last just after new year and there was a blizzard that left behind 150+cm over a period of 36 hours, it was wild and actually a wasted few days because we just didn't feel like braving the weather.

Doesn't seem to be happening so much recently, but in the past, there were annual reports of monoxide deaths from car campers sleeping with the engines on. The snow piled up overnight sealing the cars and forcing the exhaust fumes back in. Depth reports at these times ranged from 140~190cm, located along the Japan Sea coast, at town level!

grungy-gonads...

I think you know the answer to your question...

this past new-years had about 2ft in 24hrs up at Hunter...heaven...

but this is making me depressed...too hot, too much rain...this sucks

danz

Hakkoda saw some major dumps this past season despite it being a crap year....

2nd week of Feb is a guarantee in the 4 years I've been riding there....

as Jeff Mohr said in a review:

Total backcountry paradise. One gondola gives you access to a whole mountain playground. One problem, my 158 is too short to handle the 60 cm of fresh we got last night.

snowtree2.jpg

Taketsu.jpg

These were taken two years ago in Suwa. It snowed all day, and I had to go out three times to clear the path to the road - each time required a major effort to get the snow cleared, and finally there was nowhere to put it. These shots were taken after it had all settled. There was 60 to 70 cm in one day, and Suwa is not 'snow country'.

I hesitate to say this but...friends who went up to Wada Toge the next morning said it was 'insane'.

The most I have seen myself is about 30cm overnight at Dynaland up in Gifu. Compared with some of the stuff you guys have seen, thats not too impressive, but it was wild for me!