Can someone please explain why snowboarders require leashes. Understood for teles, I for one don't want to walk to base to get me ski back. Snowboards may well not have breaks, but for a board to release in a crash, two breaks are required... or is that four, two tibias, and two fibias, clean off.

Snowboarders don't require leashes. Not really. Not in the real world.

Guess which 'community' requires it. I'll give you a clue. One of the most obstreperous resorts concerning leashes is Echo Valley, notorious for its snowboard licensing sytem.

Licenses, leashes - puts you in mind of dogs really...

Saw a novice snowboarder falling and flying his board high in the air with full speed.. end up skidding and rocketing down the hill... in NAAEEEBA

Could hurt someone seriously that way.. I tried to stop the board coming down but it was too fast.. someone else caught it down hill where little flatter... (Imagine a 6-years-old bum-skiing downhill invisible from above.. )

All you Powder Gods.. have no worry I suppose?

If you lose your board once, chances are it will never happen again. The number of people who do lose their boards is probably a fraction of the whole. The number of injuries caused by this fraction is probably an enormous proportion of all injuries occurring at resorts, and yes, licenses are necessary, and they should be revoked from all those who are thoughtless enough to ride without one.

It's like a loaded gun, it's like a pit bull running free, it's an invitation to disaster...NO LEASH NO RIDE

Assuming that this is a straight question, it's to stop the your board sliding off in case you let go or your foot slips when using both hands to strap up. I've also seen snowboards hurtling down the slope by themselves, so its not such a bad idea. Like the man says, it's totally unnecessary if people pay due care and attention when putting their board on, but that's not always the case.

snoflake, 'less one has step-in bindings, how excactly can a fall precipitate a severance of board and rider.

Nofakie, if you're carrying your board, your leash isn't on. If you've ridden a lift, one foot is already strapped in.

Snoflake I assume the kid in question was walking with the board off-meaning the leash would be off as well cause you can't really walk around with the leash still attached. In this case it is potentially dangerous-I found a kids board on Goryu this year off the trail so I guess something similar had happened for it to slide all the way there.

But for a grown up without stepins a leash is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

It comes into play when you put your front foot in. If you ride chairs not gondolas, that's not very often, though a leash will provide some (admittedly not much) protection if you overloosen your front binding on the lifts for some foot relief.

If you look at the link, you'll see it's not just a Japan thing.

Even in the scenario NoFakie describes, I think a leash would be more dangerous than not having one.

First I'm not aware of a major problem with snowboards falling off lifts. But if you were daft enough to loosen your bindings too much on the chair and your board did fall, there's a good chance that a leash would pull you off too.

I wouldn't like to get hit by a falling snowboard, but I'd like it even less to be hit by a falling snowboarder.

And if this scenario sounds a little absurd and implausible, that's probably because it is.

not too sure myself.. what exactly happend..

All I saw was this person.. sreaming his head off.. red in a face.. skidding down the slope and his board was completely off..

He had leash flipping around his ankle and the board was flying.. he was flying...

Must be one of the hopeless case.. though I don't want be the receiving end of runnaway board!

...just an example, may be bit extreme ..

not too worried for the capable/artistic boarders.I know most people here are totally different kinds to that sod! smile.gif

Leashes....completely pointless and illogical. The powers that be haven't yet worked out the simple facts that boarders walking don't have the leash on, boarders always strap in to their bindings BEFORE putting the leash on AND even if a binding came off the leash is attached to the binding so it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

I worked it out a long time ago so I haven't bothered wearing a leash for the last two seasons. Nobodys stopped me yet.

[This message has been edited by Matt (edited 10 July 2002).]

leashes are required in AU.

No leash - no lift.

I usually use my leash as a shoulder strap when I am walking around. Click the loose end around the other binding smile.gif

When I put my board down, I put one foot on the stomp pad, put the leash on other legy, strap that foot in then put my back foot in. Not too hard once you are used to it.

Having had to stop a few rogue skis over the years, I don't want to be responsible for a rogue board on the mountain.

I'm with Raury on this one. Leashes are compulsory in Oz and when I was boarding last time I was there I was chased by patrol twice on the one day I forgot to chuck it in the bag. Ended up having to buy one by about 10am. Canadian resorts used to require boarders to wear leashes but seem to be relaxed about it now.

Must say, Ocean is right, once it has happened to you (losing your board) you are a lot more careful. I walked out of a massive stack at Nozawa on my last day riding this season (you know the "out of bounds" run between the lifts where you have to stay high to avoid the creek down to the left? I forgot to stay high. Even though I consider myself an experienced rider, I hiked it out, put the board down on the wrong angle to step in and my board clean sailed off. Much to my horror and the amusement of the lift queue. Took me quite some time to hike down and retrieve it - lucky it wasn't snowing or I would never have found it.

I actually don't mind the leash - convenient to carry more than anything else. What I do object to is that it is equally possible for skis to come off and skid off down a slope and what's more, more likely. Yet you don't see leashes for skiers. I am sure there are 100 good reasons for this, but actually, I don't really see the fundamental distinction.

So Raury - you have been quiet for a while. Do tell us how the season is - I hear it is quite good this year.

Belle

actually...

skiers do have leashes...we call 'em powder straps...and are usually used on those deep powder days we all dream about...I imagine it saves you a lot of time if you eat it and release...

certainly not mandatory for us though...

danz

Oh yeah belle, do I know that f-ing creek! Had to cut me some steps in chest-high pow with my board to get out of there once. The biggest danger to me that day was the risk of cardiac arrest.

I've seen runaway skis, and not only that but runaway skiers who have lost one ski (from banging into snowboarders from behind mind you) and who go skudding along desperately peddaling with that free foot to stay upright. Kakkoiiii!

Enough of the 'kakkoi skier' jokes, little red riding helmet. (Why do I insist on defending skiers).

Belle, was your board in possession of a leash when you lost it?

Belle, skis have brakes, so when they fall off, they stop. Renegade snowboards, however, once they've broken free at the knees, just keep going.

[This message has been edited by miteyak (edited 11 July 2002).]

What's this about skis having 'breaks'? I've heard that before, but have no idea what it means. How does the system work? And why do you still see skis going off on their own merry way if they have brakes?

Miyetak - yup, I had a leash at the time. I was putting the board down to put the leash on before stepping in when it took off! Goes to show the fundamental flaw in the leash logic. As already pointed out, we boarders don't walk around with the board leashed on and that is the most likely time the board will take off.

And yeah, I remember the brake thingo on skis. You mean that when you pop out from the bindings, the side levers of the binding drops down to below the plane of the ski to stop it from sliding. This happens in soft snow and invariably does prevent the ski from taking off, but when one is skiing at a a resort more icy than others, say, Naeba, this "brake" does jack all.

That is to say, in my humble opinion!