Large sizes for boots/clothing in Japan

Firstly: never snowboarded in my life.

Secondly: found out last week that I will be living in Niigata for the next year or two.

Thirdly: too good an opportunity not too take up snowboarding.

My question is: How easy is it too find big sizes in gear in Japan (in major cities). I am about 6'3", 115kg's and take about a size 13 shoe. I have to quickly decide whether to buy here and ship over or buy there (obviously easier), as I am leaving in a week (can do without the stress).

Any help, people's experiences or pointers on which stores to go to/good brands to buy will be greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome Mr Wow Trousers.

Ship over, ship over! You won't regret it. And it will save a LOT of hassle.

You will find it almost impossible to get size 13 boots here in Japan

It sounds as though you're bigger'n me, and although I've been able to find clothing that fits, the choice is limited and it takes a lot of time.

I take anywhere from a size 10 to a size 12 boot, and there's nothing that fits properly. To find a boot that suits you, you need a range to choose from, but most boots here stop at size 28 or 29.

If you have a choice wherever it is you are, I'd suggest you buy and send it over, especially boots. That'll be far easier than buying here.

I don't have the problem so much myself, me being petite and lithe and all that, but the boys are right. If you're a "big boy", then you should really bring your stuff and get it over with.

You'd probably regret it if you didn't....

alrighty then, I will most likely try stuff on and leave the details with my sister to buy the stuff later and ship it over (money is definitely a factor!).

Hell, it only costs $140 to ship a 20kg package from Australia. They charge you $35/kg excess at the airport if you take it as luggage!

well....

Snowboard gears in Japan costs:

Snowboard: 75000yen - 85000yen. (US$600-700)

Boots: 30000yen -45000yen. (US$250-300)

Binding: 30000yen -45000yen(US$250-300)

Outwear(top): 45000yen - 60000yen (US$370-500)

Outwear(bottom): 35000yen -50000yen.(US275-420)

=The prices above are average price @ Sports shop in Tokyo....

.... I think it worth to buy your gear in OZ then ship to Japan...

Mr Wow Trousers - where are you in Oz? There are heaps of excellent places and there are enough of us here who would be happy to make recommendations where to buy etc....particularly if you are anywhere near Threadbo at the moment (Jindy is pricy but got fab choices).

My friends have had no end of trouble getting stuff here and have stuff shipped over from Oz all the time. Without a doubt it is much cheaper. If money is a serious factor, just get boots and snowtrou' (board pants)... you can make do with hire stuff for the rest.

But in fact, if you are going to be living in Niigata then hiring will be quite expensive in the long run if you get seriously addicted to boarding. May as well stump up and reap the rewards when the white stuff comes down.

Hoo roo

Belle

"money is a factor" at this moment in time (as I have to buy a lot of things before going), but it won't be a factor in the coming months.

I am in Sydney for the next week and will be flying out in one weeks time. I will be living and working in Nishikawa-machi in Niigata.

I will be checking out Larry Adler in the city tomorrow. Does anyone know of outlet/sale stores in sydney?

Maybe time to flex the plastic. If you've not got a credit card, sign up for one now, because it can be a major pain in the butt getting one as a foreigner in Japan.

My advice is the same as everyone else on here.

Buying here is not easier - due to your size and all the hassles involved. I'd go down to the big shops down there, get some advice in English and buy just what you want and get it sent over.

Good luck!

Everyone else has pretty much said it all I think.

I think buying clothes and equipment in Japan is a pain by all accounts, with it being best taking what you want with you. It will surely alos be cheaper than Japan.

lin

Hi

I have size 12s UK, and had loads of problems last December when I came to Japan and tried to buy boots.

I really regretted not bringing them over.

• 2 weeks later...

OK this subject has been touched on before I'm sure, but whats the biggest boots you've ever seen in Japan. The biggest I've seen is 28, just a bit too small for me. Has anyone ever seen anything larger, and if so - WHERE??