Just got back after 6 days at Falls Creek and 3 days at Charlotte Pass.

The snow was great, although it did only snow for about 6 hours in that entire time.

The weather was great for all but 2 days, but was fantastic for Charlotte's.

Managed to damage both myself and my board, but the board is fixed and I'm getting better as days go by.

The grin will not leave my face for about 4 weeks.

Was a wicked start to the season with Coronet actually having some powder. Since it's returned to concrete peak and we're getting picture perfect day after day. There's probably more chance of sushi getting thrown away for free than it snowing again. Treble Cone is where it's at, 20-30cm of fresh POW seemed like a early christmas a few weeks back. But you do have to hike your arse off to get amongst most of it. There's some pretty unreal terrain even though the snow maybe not always be on par with the nihon variety. I think you'd be crazy to buy a new board here-some fields would more appropriately be called rock fields. All in all it's been a helluva lot of fun so far but I'm not overly gloating as a financial miracle would have to happen for me to wing my way over for your next season-and that'll be more gutting with japan's over supply of powder there for the taking.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a month boarding in NZ. The terrain, people and prices (especially club-fields) are sick, but the snow isn't! We got about 30cm in the whole month I was in the southern Alps with only one substantial fall. Still, it was a great trip worth all the core-shots my board received. The locals couldn't believe it had done three season of off-piste in Japan as the base looked so new to them. Not now!

If I went again, I'd plan to stay in Christchurch for a month and just head up to the hills when the snow comes in. Recommendations? Treble Cone for terrain and being the best commercial field on the South Island, Craigieburn for great chutes, steeps and hits - not for beginners though (plus 3man will get you a bed, all meals and passes everyday for a week).

Coming back to Japan again soon for the real snow tho...

Anyone up for installing a nutcracker rope-tow in the Nagano BC?!?

Yeah pity about the lack of snow-spoke to my nephew last night and he said it was a shitty season so far in Canterbury-last year was great at this time. Seems all the big dumps have been up north this year.

Wonder how much a nutcracker tow costs??? can't be that much!! Why don't all us skijapanguide.com forum members club together and erect one over some sick backcountry terrain . It could be the start of the perfect ski resort Ocean11 envisiged.

just got back today from 2 weeks in nz. forget the resorts!! go heliboarding!!! better than the summit at niseko!! $800 nz for 7 runs!!!! bliss!! if you ain't got too much cash, then the remarkables are pretty good, both days I went i rode nothing but powder ( it required a lot of hiking but...). Will be putting some heli boarding pics in the readers gallery if it's ok with the skijpapanguide guys.

klubhead