I think your point is that snowboarding is easier than skiing, a fairly obvious truism for anyone who has tried both sports. I could get around on skis before I started snowboarding, but once I started the two plank thing was never an option again. Why bother? A more interesting angle would be the viewpoint of people who are good at skiing but have taken up boarding because they enjoy it more. A lot of people do both so clearly not all boarders are failed skiers. Most boarders are just enjoying themselves and could give a rats arse about skiing and it's merits because boarding is more fun. But that's just my humble opinion. If I had those sticks in my hand it would make it difficult to answer the phone without stopping-time=fun.

I'm an ex-skier boarder. I can't imagine myself downhill skiing again, but telemarking looks a laugh, especially if it's easier to climb and to get around the BC than it is on snowshoes or a split board.

How do you figure that one Raury?

More chance of breaking knee caps on a board with your only choice of forward or backward fall. No chance of doing either of these on skis.

Ligamanet damage however would probably be equal wether it be two planks or one.

mogski, due to a problem with my ankles (read: severe misalignment) that went unattended for 30 years, I now have about 20-30mm inward lateral movement in my knees. The ligaments that run down the inside of each knee are very loose.

The likelihood of bending the knees is very high if they are on separate planks, and I am unable to resist that movement, which makes skiing a doubtful excercise anyway.

On one plank, they might twist a bit, but they cannot go in opposite directions as the plank hold the ends together.

Notice how easy it is to bend someones arms behind their back if their arms are loose, then try it if both their hands are holding onto something like a steel bar.

I have heard of loose people but loose ligaments!! OUCH!

Maybe you should take up aerials and stuff Raury, sounds like you could pull some great never been tried before inverted grabs and stuff! biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by mogski (edited 06 August 2002).]

Quote:
Originally posted by mogski:
I have heard of loose people but loose ligaments!! OUCH!

Ahhh, but that is another problem, those ligaments don't hurt at all.
Instead, I end with what can basically be described as sprained knees. The whole knee, but especially the inside lower part, ends up packed full of fluid in the bodies vain attempt to stabilise the joint. Now THAT is painful.

Perhaps you should consider a sport like Chess or crossword puzzles. biggrin.gif

Still, theraputic snowboarding...there could be a marketing advantage in this.

flamer, now you've got the ball rolling, how about explaining what you mean?

Are you suggesting that those snowboarders who used to ski (like my mates) couldn't 'make it' as skiers?

Or those snowboarders who started winter sports on the board (like me) somehow failed because we never tried skiing?

And if you are a skier, do you feel you have somehow succeeded?

---

Raury, my sympathies with your knees. My hip joints go spastic and hurt like hell when the seasons change, but it doesn't sound quite as bad as what you've got. I have horrible images of somebody trying to stand up straight in spite of their knee wires needing tightening. I hope it's not that bad.

Ocean,

I now have orthotics (at about 10-150 under each foot to lift teh inside edge up. This stops a lot of the problem. The muscles around my knees hold them upright naturally. There is only a problem when you apply sideways or rotational forces to them.

I used to play volleyball (social C grade) and would end up limping for a day or two afterwards because of all the spins, twists and awkward landings that you tend to do in that game.

I think everyone here is missing the point

the whole point of the exercise is to get from the top of the hill to the bottom...boards are faster in powder, skiers land bigger jumps - surely we should celebrate the differences, enjoy one anothers company and hug!

Happoshu - failed beer

If you are implying that boarders are people that cant ski, i disagree. Im 21 and ive been sking from the time i was like 11 till I was 17. I didnt even know what snowboarding was back then. The first time i tried boarding i was hooked, dont get me wrong, i loved sking and still do but i had already mastered it. Snowboarding was more of a challenge, a whole new kind of adrenelin rush!

I would appreciate if anyone could reccomend some resorts, im new to japan and am looking for a resort that has a lot to offer an experienced boarder thanx

Dont think it matters which you do. Ive seen skiers pull off 540 rodeos, back flips, D-Spins, etc... The new skiing revolution doesnt just stick to racing or moguls - both of which just dont appeal to me. For real skiing pick up an issue of FREEZE and see what Brad Holmes, Skogen Sprang, or Tanner Hall are doing. A few words to describe the way they ski: sick, extreme, buchi dekai kintama!!!