What's wrong with you then?

When the weather changes a lot, I get a twinge in my lower back that sometimes develops into crippling pain that roams around between my hip joints, and moves from the front of my legs to the back and vice versa. Sometimes I guzzle painkillers (and shochu), and use a walking stick to deal with it.

One good thing about it is that it's a sure sign that 'winter is just around the corner' as they say on NHK news (not that I watch it, NoFakie).

A major drawback, apart from the obvious one of excruciating pain, is that it's also a sign of spring on the way. Also, explaining to people why you're getting about with a walking stick is a real bore, especially when they start giving you advice.

Q - "Have you ever tried acupuncture?"

A - "Have you ever tasted walking stick, 'Doc'?"

Advice from real doctors can be way off the mark too. Most that I've consulted recommend not putting any strain on it when it hurts. But a good long run when the twinges come often seems to stave off the worst pain later.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
...But a good long run when the twinges come often seems to stave off the worst pain later.

I think you have found the only good cure for ongoing pain - exercise

My mother used to have Rheumatiod Arthritis, and she found that if whe walked every day, and kept active, the pain was managable, but if she stopped for a few days it became worse.

Skiing and boarding are not exactly health-promoting sports. They subject your musculo-skeletal system to many unnatural, sudden and repetitive stresses and torques.

The kind of skiing/boarding to which we tend to aspire as our ability improves is even less healthy.

Jumps, pipe tricks, incredibly steep descents, moguls, tree skiing, booze on the lift and stupid "watch me" tricks when legs and arms are tired and judgment is cloudy.

Fun as this may all be, from a medical point of view the cost of these activities may not justify the benefit.

The poster-child pros of today have injury lists a mile long. Blown ligaments, cartilage and bone damage...how do you think they will be doing at age 55, assuming they even get there? Nice to attend your kid's graduation in a wheelchair. "Dad was sponsored by Burton in the 90's!"

Great.

Does Burton give its riders a good retirement package with geriatric healthcare solutions for degenerative bone and joint problems?

Oh by the way Mogs I am going out to look at skateboards this afternoon! Inspired by those kids who were doing it in the park when we were chucking the frisbee on Saturday.

Oh definitely mogski (as long as you don't mind if we barf...)

I bet one of them rammed up against a hard plastic shell boot must hurt. You'd best get badmigraine to have a look at that.

Ocean, I recommended amputation but for his own selfish reasons Mogski decided that a new pair of boots might resolve the issue.

It could be that the boots merely aggravate a condition he acquired at work: kicking around useless prats who won't do their jobs!

Good thing I was on a different floor or I would have been one of the kicked.

Wait badmigraine! There's a review of a Freebord coming up soon.

If you're wanting something more similar to a snowboard ride, I'd get a Freebord. As my friend the Turdle said when he got on it, 'Old farts like us ought to be able to pick this up easily enough' without any of the pain and difficulty associated with merely staying on a skateboard. That is unless you're loaded and the purchase of a skateboard is a mere bagatelle for you.

Truly, I think your infirmities can only be exacerbated by taking up skateboarding.

Indeed, questions of infirmities present, existing and contigent are always in the back of my mind.

At the end of the 2002 season, two new injuries with lifelong permanancy:

* a knee joint that plays up when climbing up stairs (unlike Ocean 11, it is invariably worse with alcohol consumption because I have usually fallen on it a few times)

* a coccyx bone which hurts after a horrendous butt first stack in the half pipe in Canada - it still hurts to sit down!

[i am sure you are pleased at my having shared such intimate information with you all.]

But none is as so horrendous as the snapped ankle in a properly fitted and done up ski boot dodging an errant beginner boarder. The sheer agony of taking the boot off is never to be forgotten. My ankle and I have still not forgotten it - no less than 6 years ago. I enjoyed the experience so much that I became a boarder, having largely lost the ability to carve on a rigid right ankle.

But Ocean11 and Raury have it right - keeping on exercising makes it all slightly better. I just have to learn that falling butt first on the treadmill is best postponed to when I am back in the snow....only a few short months from now.

smile.gif

Belle

belle, that butt bone thing may get better with time.

Last winter I skidded off my bike and smashed my elbow into the road. Christ did it hurt! And it hurt for nearly five months after, so that every time I thought, gosh, I'm tired, I'll just rest my elbow on this table, I went a slightly funny colour from the pain. But though I thought it might be permanent, it turned out not to be.

But coming down with your full, though no doubt slight and lithe weight on your rump must bruise the bone quite thoroughly.

One of my mates did that broken ankle thing with soft boarding boots on. Ooh, ouch! Then he broke the same bone again several more times.

I guess with my only ailement being ma toe(still attached and will stay that way thank you) I can be proud that I am either:

1. The best skier in the world, in great shape and having great reflexes so as to avoid accidents

2. Don't push the envelope enough and am the boring ojisan who sticks to the bunny hill.

Of course right now I am suffering from a severe bout of heat stroke so none of this should be believed. biggrin.gif

I am glad I don't own the insurance company that is unfortunate to pick you peoples up as clients! Sheesh!

Oh, I forgot to mention all my ailments smile.gif

Most of you have worked out that I have bad ankles and knees, tho' not through snow related causes.

My left arm is currently one long bruise from the elbow to the wrist from my wrist guard protecting my wrist and transferring the stress of a big stack into my forearm. Both shoulders hurt, the right as an aggrevation of an injury from a car accident a couple of years back, and my left shoudler from slamming into a mountain when something under the snow jagged the base sheet of my board.

Still it's all good, and the pain will fade away. It's all a case of Go Hard or Go Home

PS mogs, get yourself into a podiatrist and get that toenail fixed. I had to have one big toenail resectioned about 12 years ago, and it was so much easier to walk out of the surgery than it was to walk in. Seriously, it is worth getting fixed.

RESECTIONED?!!

My parents had that done to their back yard and beleive me it wasn't nice! When it was done there was another house on the back yard and it wasn't theirs!!!!!

Nope, no resectioning if it means the same as the above!

Was it like this mogski?

How courteous is the Japanese;

He always says: "Excuse it, please."

He climbs into his neighbor's garden,

And smiles, and says, "I beg your pardon";

He bows and grins a friendly grin,

And calls his hungry family in;

He smiles, and bows a friendly bow:

"So sorry, this my garden now."

Oh well, I suppose being poor is one kind of infirmity...

i broke my nose snowboarding, so from then till forever, it will be a little off kilter. and the cartilage is that much thinner, so if i land on my face on hardpack again, it's plastic surgery time. . . so snowboarding CAN be hazardous to your health.

my friend broke her back after she pancaked off a big kicker. but she is recovered now.

ironically exercise can do as much to cause new injury as it can to help ease the pain.

you just have to find the right balance, and not go too hard. e.g. i lift weights, and like most guys who lift weights, i try to lift as much as i can as many times as i can. at the high point of any given cycle, the weights get heavy and about once a year, i get muscle injuries - neck, hamstring, shoulder, and now lower back (sucks).

Running fixes my lower back up for a few days, then the pain creeps back. Stretching every day seems to make the pain progressively lighter.

Sometimes I wonder what the hell I'm doing always injuring myself, but I don't think I could function without exercise.

Quote:
Originally posted by mogski:
RESECTIONED?!!

My parents had that done to their back yard and beleive me it wasn't nice! When it was done there was another house on the back yard and it wasn't theirs!!!!!

Nope, no resectioning if it means the same as the above!

OK, now you've confused me. Car to explain what this is about. Is it like squatting in an unused house??

i dislocated my hip...that was painful. and sometimes if i stand up to quickly my hip goes all funny and i get the extreme stabbing pain on my left side.

and ive broken my nose...and that was painful. but doesnt bother me anymore.

oh and i fractured a bone in my knee.

accident prone?

NEVER!