ok, i know its not in japan, but i'll be in NY for a few weeks from the start of feb visiting family, and would love to duck off for a few days of good riding. my schedule is pretty flexible so i can run to the hills if and when it starts snowing.

from what i've read, the east coast resorts don't get as much snow or have as good terrain as the rockies, but surely there would some fun places to ride nearby?

so far this season i've only managed a paltry 3 days in austria, and it wasn't exactly epic conditions.

if anyone knows of resorts that would be good short trips from NY, i would gladly appreciate the advice!

I'd recommend Hunter, Windham (2.5-3 hour ride to upstate NY from NYC), or head up to southern vermont (4-4.5 ride) to Mount Snow (personal favorite), Killington (Huge) or Okemo (big and uncrowded).

The snow in upstate NY is most likey going to be sh*t compared to japan, but Vermont usually gets decent snowfall. I'd go for the extra hour in the car for good riding in Vermont. have fun!