Let's say you had an unlimited budget and you are shopping for wheels to get you to and from the resorts.

What would you buy and what comforts inside would it have or would you put in yourself?

I'd get a wagon with a back seat that folded down far enough that you could kip in that back.

Car navigation.

Sound system that lets you plug in a portable MP3 player.

Shotgun rack with a rifle and shotgun.

Anyway, mogs, what happened to your car photos? All we got was a bunch of tags to look at...

[This message has been edited by Ocean11 (edited 30 August 2002).]

I don't know if this is ultimate, but my next car would be a Hammer 2 (if available in Japan).

Nav

Good Sound system(a DVD surround would be nice) with Pahat noise.

If your car has a cassette player, you can get a converter that has a lead coming out for plugging into a standard 3.5mm stereo jack (walkman headphone size). I used to use one in my car. You don't see so many cassette players now though.

Many modern car CD players can play MP3s straight from CD-R.

As for the car, lots of space inside. The voice of experience says some kind of rack setup for drying gear if you're going to sleep in it and a speed gun radar. Nice clean sound would be nice too. Navi maybe. No need to spend much money as any car that looks like a van is going to handle like one. Just make sure the heater works.

If you send your stuff by takkyubin, you don't need a big car or a cabin. No daytrips though.

Beg to differ, NoFakie. The newer people carriers, look like vans, handle more like cars. Get something with driver and steering wheel behind the front wheels, not over them. If yer driving a long way, need comfort!

After five years of sleeping in the van, though, ready for some real speed to the mountains followed by a tipple by the fire before bed.

miteyak, I have just bought a van and am looking forward to weekend trips and sleeping in the van. Got any recommendations for sleeping place in Niigata, Nagano areas? How about comforts that I should consider when sleeping in the van? Besides of course my girlfriend biggrin.gif

Great, what did you get?

This summer bought a double airbed with electric self inflater. Real cheap at home centers, 3~5,000 yen. Fits the back perfik and packs away nicely. Made do with several futons for years though.

String up net bags, thouse laundry ones, great to keep track of undies, and avoids the compromising position of the misses grundies or drafty.

Got a big van, think yer don't need a carry up top? Think again. Keep as much crap outta the van as possible. When it comes to re-arranging for sleep and it's a blizzard outside... (everyday in Niseko!)

Don't have one meself, but an awning would be great.

Think about the big placky drawers for long trips. Great way to stay organised.

V warm sleeping bags, so I don't have to stick veg in yer exhaust to stop your engine running

wine rack

All previous suggestions (NoFakie)

PLACES TO PARK

Niseko Tourist info carpark-heated toilet/water supply.

Hirafu carpark-dark/quiet

SunAlpina Sanosaka-dark/quiet

Ontake-quiet/heated toilet/drying room/empty at night

Got a 7 seater old type Delica van.

Will be using it for surfing too so the drawers are covered and the warm sleeping bag purchased last year from homeland.

Carrying system is covered by rack lashes strung up on the interior grab handles. Works with surf boards and as I ski will do fine for them too, I hope.

Like the string bags!!! Great idea!