I've heard from a few people that Shiga Kogen, although having some great resort areas, sucks for nightlife and literally shuts down in the evening.

Is that right any of you people been here a long time?

I'm getting seriously excited about my first winter in Japan.

I'm sorry but Hakuba as far as I am concerned is not that much of a party place. What is the deal with the apres ski scene over here. I'm sure people are going to line up and throw darts at me but....Hakuba has some but it could be much better. Mitch from Snowbeds opened a bar up there called the SnowedIn and it is pretty cool. But other than that it seems kind of weak. Maybe someone could steer me in a better direction.

Hakuba may not be apres-ski central but it does have a couple of bars, izakayas and even the odd club night which qualifies it as downtown compared with the total lack of anything past your hotel dinner at Shigakogen. I could be wrong though, perhaps it's changed since I was last there and they've opened a new karaoke bar or something.

Teleskier-I think the better direction involves getting on an international flight to one of those strange, exotic countries where apres ski starts at the bottom of the hill or half way up it depending on where you find yourself. Have to agree with you on the general lameness factor.