We've got a thread going about jackets, but what about what to wear underneath? Wearing anything but cotton next to the skin goes against the grain, but it just gets horribly soggy snowboarding. I'm going to try something else this year, although some of the materials on sale give me the shivers just touching them with my fingers.

So here are some questions about this fascinating subject.

T-shirts made outta "Thermastat" - kind'a like poly prop but not as thick and clingy - and polyprop longjons. On top of the Thermastat T I usally wear a long t-shirt and then my jacket. Keeps me well warm in Niigata.

The Thermastat material works exactly like polyprop in that it wicks away sweat and keeps body heat and dries real quick. That is all the info I have on this material, but I swear by it!

"Keeps me well warm in Niigata"??

All I can remember about temperature control in Niigata is unzipping whatever we had and dripping with sweat.

That place hardly ever gets cold enough to justify technical gear. And you're never more than one quick run from the lodge where they sell espresso drinks.

You're better off in Niigata in workout attire. Whatever you wear will be soaked in sweat and stinky!

I recommend no underwear at all at Niigata!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...