I saw on the news tonight that two former Japanese mogul champions were caught smerking dope in a car in Tokyo. One of them was reportedly a 'genius jumper'.

But hey, that's good! The authorities will realize that a bit of dope doesn't stop you performing like a champion, and will henceforth go easier on huffers!

Look forward to 'taima' filled cigarettes available in vending machines on the slopes this season.

Brings me back to the 1998 Winter Olympics here. Unfortunately I was back in the States but the new sport of snowboarding was just added to the games. It got off to a rocky start when the winner of the event, a Canadian, got busted for high levels of marijuana in his system. He tried to blame it on being around his buddies when they were toking up. It was a real embarassment for Canada, the sport of snowboarding, and the Olympics in general...

Hate to disagree.. but Ross Rebliate (sp?) was hardly an embarassment except to his handlers and the Snowboard Federation for more than a few moments.... He was then and is still now regarded as a cult hero to most boarders in Canada and the USA...

I am a Canadian from Vancouver originally and the sentiment in Whistler - his home town - was that he was a hometown hero... Recieved a key to the city etc.., etc.., - post "MEDIA" fiasco

He of course did retain his Gold Medal and I think that a little toke couldn't possibly compare to the embarassment of more recent events... like the Bribes of the IOC Members in Salt Lake... Figure Skating fiasco with vote trading... US Hockey Team throwing a temper tantrum and trashing rooms in Nagano after embarassing themselves in front of the world ( Mike Modano impressed me at least by taking responsibilty and apologizing for his team ) and so on and so on...

Perhaps at the time it seemed like sensational news - but most Canadians were little more than amused.... I for one was hardly embarassed...

Snowboarders having a toke in a Gondola in Whistler... Who'da thunk it ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Ross was hardly an embarrassment.

I a world that needs to get over their fear of pot.....our PM stood up for Ross (he himself said he smoked dope...as opposed to the lying 'didn't inhale' cigar lovin pres to the south)....

FYI Ross full on smoked a crap load in Whistler....my old roomie used to ski with him. Can't believe the Japanese authorities bought that crap.

Drew

Full on you get busted.

I had a buddy a couple of years ago who got done for growing a few plants in his house....taken wild and growing them in his house.

Busted just like the Japanese mogulers in his car.

He waited 6 months in jail before trial....then got a 2 year sentence....suspended for 3 years I believe. Swiftly left the country....not sure how long if ever he'll be allowed back in.

Look and listen go up a lift in B.C. Canada and if you dont smell dope than something is wrong. In Canada we dont care smoke it dont smoke it. Smoke it just outside the bar you dont have to hide. I skied with Victoria Jellouse's father for 2 years and skied with him on vacations and will I wont finish that sentence.

I don't know what the penalties are for Japanese, but I expect that contrition and willingness to 'grass' up your friends would probably be taken into consideration.

For foreigners, I've heard 2nd hand of people getting taken straight to the airport without even time to pick up their belongings. Dunno if it's true. I've also heard of people rotting in jail, untried, before being deported. I guess it depends what friends and family you happen to have. Paul McCartney wasn't allowed in for a long time after getting caught at the airport with a stash.

I'm a tad surprised that anyone would want to combine dope with snow sports. I have a hard enough time keeping wet on the inside and dry on the outside without tipping the balance the other way, as it were. confused.gif

Got an email from a mate back home and he said that pot has been decriminalized in Canada. Anybody know that for a fact? Always heard that for the most part people turn a blind eye to it there just because there are so many other things that are worse out there... in my opinion, beer and cigarettes. This is a wonderful time of year. The weather cools down, the Fall leaves will be here soon, and its time to harvest \:D

And, as far as the two Japanese getting busted for smoking a joint in a car, hopefully they wont go to jail... such a shame for just a toke, eh?

A long big toke would possibly put a smile on the face of some of the grim commuters I see when I'm forced to catch the train. Have to agree that alcohol is a far more harmful drug. Anyway why do they test for weed in the first place-it's hardly a performance enhancing substance, actually that's debateable I suppose.

Yes it is a shame about the mogul dudes-had they been caught driving drunk it would probably not be news. Now I know the secret of how they can turn their legs into natural shock absobers and fearlessly cane it down those mogul runs.

Yeah, Marijuana deregulation is sweeping the country over here...well that may be a little bit of an exageration. In San Jose, California, the mayor and city council recently staged a give away of marijuana to medical patients. The Federal government is sticking to its guns on it being a cardinal sin...thanks Dubya.

I believe it was the occupying US forces that banned marijuana and hemp in general in Japan. Hemp cultivation had had a very long history here.

It is still cultivated under strict licences and plays a part in the coronation (or whatever the correct name is) of the Emperor at Ise Jingu. I think the last batch had been grown illegally in Shikoku.

If you ever go to Hakuba via the Olympic Road, you'll pass through a village called Miasa, or "beautiful hemp". There's a hemp musuem there, though I've never been. Cultivation of the mountain hemp they grew there for years is still banned.

If you get caught, you'll definitely make the local newspapers and possibly local TV too. If you're married to a Japanese, they won't kick you out, but the whole thing will bring great humiliation to your spouse's family and your employer. The tiniest amount of gear is enough for the book to be thrown at you.

I believe Paul McCartney had 8 ounces, btw. Even in Holland, that amount would get you up for "intent to supply", not just "possession".

I know one guy who was caught at Kansai airport with a few grams. The original date of his case was delayed by a month due to a typhoon, and he ended up in the cells there for three months before being deported. He has since married a Japanese woman in the US, but cannot reenter Japan to meet her family. Had he overstayed or committed other minor crimes, he would be able to get back in.

A few years ago, when I got caught riding a stolen bicycle that I had picked up off the gomi, I was taken to the cop shop and the cops went right through my wallet and my pockets. I also got searched (shoes/socks included) once at the police box at Roppongi crossing for simply going in and asking the way to Nishi Azabu! If you're going to indulge, be very careful where you keep your gear.

Danz,

Youll often hear of it in Shikoku and Kyushu too. And, anywhere else you throw some seeds...

NoFakie,

Yeah, the soldiers found out about it here during the occupation and that soon came to a halt. Kinda makes ya wonder what happened to those wonderful little bags of shroomz you could pick up... gotta hate the way they fix loopholes.