I went to vote, but I couldn't quite figger out what the options were. Anyway, I like riding on pretty much anything other than groomers and ice.

Pow is great. Pow with a crust on is neat - love that ZZZzzzz noise as you cut the crust. Swishy swashy crud is nice and forgiving at the end of the day. Don't like sugar so much, and I don't like the knocking that corduroy makes.

Here's a question for you eskimos. What's the kind of snow called where heaps of powder falls and nobody rides it? Then it sits a while and goes really heavy. Just like that spring day at Cortina Fattwins...is there a good name for that? Ex-pow? Wet snow? That was alright to ride too, in a tragic sort of way.

In British Columbis - on the coast as least ~ Whistler/Blackcomb, Mt Baker, North Shore Mountains - We commonly refer to it as

" ELEPHANT SNOT "

This is the same kinda powder that is almost impossible to ski in because as soon as it hits your goggles / glasses / outerwear it turns to slush... if it makes it to the ground it stays because the snow temp is much colder than the ambiant temp... Flakes are sometimes 2cm round until they hit the ground anyways.. It's hellish to see thru at speed and the light is also always very flat on those days..

Days like this - and there can be a lot of them - are days for skiing close to or in the trees...

Elephant snot - yes, poetic, I'll have to remember that.

OB had me lost too. The Old Boy jump network? yourstyleistelegraphicfattwins. ;\)

Forgot to mention, I hate moguls and anyone who makes them. Anybody involved in this sort of vandalism should be made to tidy up afterwards with a shovel. No beers in the carpark until it's all flat again. And until I get some stiffer boots, I won't even appreciate moguls with a pow topping.

Ok OB is what canadains refer to as Out of Bounds.

As we do have park Rangers up our ass to stay in bounds, most resorts groom a cat track exit for OB runs maybe thats why we call it OB. Back Country to me is hiking and sking and possibily not coming back to the resort. But Hey I just confused myself. As to Cortina and that day, I would call that slop. Remember Ocean that it is very hard to groom anything over 30 to 40 % you need a winch cat. Moguls are formed by everyone. On steep pitches after a powder day as we compact the snow they just happen. I for one hate it when everything gets groomed the pow is not bottomless and it gets to damm icy.

PS you gotta hit the Cortina trees on a deep day no words can describe the lines.

Powder can offer intensely miserable experiences if you're not quite up to riding it. As I frequently found out in my first year. It was a dirty word with me, especially as my mates kept urging me to go and get stuck in it again and again. (The situation wasn't helped by using Belligerent hybrid bindings that pop open just with the pressure of snow. :rolleyes: )

My friends' dedication to powder also seems to have spoiled their appreciation of every other aspect of snowboarding, a trap I don't intend to fall into.

Ocean good thinking. If you want to improve you have to ski ride as much as possible no matter what the conditions. I relish everyday no matter what if its hard I ski fast or stay in the park. When it pow I ski everywhere. In the spring i ski bumps trees and soft wind blown snow.

When I was bunning at this resort there was this run at the top of the mountain 40 plus degrees but half the time it an inch of wind blown crust on it. Every turn was hop punch through hop punch through, one mistake of balance meant crash. But that sking gave me balance and though me how to focus all my energy to the task. If and when you get out of the resort area bounties (back Country)

You just never know what the conditions might be they can change as you ride down. So always think everyday is a good day, not just powder.

In my (limited) experience, I've never had more than a sore bum and muscles the next day. But I know a couple of people (skiers) who complain of the done in knees too, it must be quite common.