Are you actually any good at skiing/boarding?

I'm crap.

My turns are shaky, I have very little control, and when I try to jump I usually land on my back and sometimes on my head.

In powder I often find myself flying forward onto my face for no very good reason, and when transiting between groomers and powder it's a 50/50 thing whether I fall over.

Well, maybe it's an exaggeration, but that's how it feels anyway. But, I'm going to do better this season. Yes.

I'm actually pretty damn good. According to my friends at least.

Oceans, I think control defines the sliding. If you have it, good on you. If not, well then, oppoosite of above.

I take a lot of people out who 'suck'. We just have fun. Don't worry about it. I get enough days in each year to make me happy. Taking friends out is a great time. Have fun with it!

NJ, I'm not going to worry about being crap. And I'm not going to stay crap for much longer either. (I think part of my lack of control is having squishy 2nd hand boots, which I'm going to change for some nice new stiff ones.)

Oh, and please don't stick an 's' on my name. I'm a place from a reggae classic, not a warmed over movie burglar.

Years ago I was an ok skier. But I was young and had no fear at all. I have not skied for years so I expect I would be a complete unco these days.

As for boarding - bloody hopeless. A total of 5 hours on ice 10 years ago. I reckon I will have a laugh this year on my first real day. I am getting pretty amped for it actually.

sorry Ocean. My bad. (funny thing is, I totally know what you're talking about!)

Just have fun with whatever you do. Boots are by far the most important thing to have - boarding or skiing. All my biggest advances were made after new boot purchases. When you have a size 13 though, a bit tough to find them here in Japan.

Good Winter to you! I can't wait!

I rate myself as a fair boarder.

Faster and more competant than a beginner, but slower and more unco than long term users.

Able to avoid stacking into others on the slopes.

Land about 1 in 4 jumps at the moment, but aim to get that conquered next season.

Shakey fakie top to bottom on blue runs, and venturing onto blacks when they are quiet.

Not too bad but compared to maybe Hermain Meyer not that good. Been skiing for 25 yrs now though. Doesn't really matter that much as long as you are having fun. What defines you as being good?

- Zipper a mogul line

- Land a sweet jump

- Bash gates with the best of them

- Carve hard turns on a board

- Go real fast

- Ski any run on a mountain

Heard an interview once with the legendary great ski racer Franz Klammer and he said that the only people who ski right are little kids and people who race in the downhill event. They don't worry about outside influences of style. It's all about getting down the mountain and the rest is just style which doesn't really matter. Kind of interesting....