• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe I used the term 'widely', but more likely than snowboard boots. I'll take a look next time i'm in Spotaka (not this weekend, however, as I'll be too busy having tea and cakes with your mother in Law and a few million others at Kappabashi). They have size 30 boarding boots. I guess you're talking about rentals, though.

Actually, never skied. Tele boots V hard to get here, size 26 max I could find, had to order from the states.

i worked at a smallish resort in Japan (8 lifts) and half the patrol team were snowboarders (3 outa 6),

i saw them with the boats once or twice and they looked pretty good on the steep stuff actually, you know, the steep slopes where the ski-patroller turns sideways and sort of lies down to support the boat and the snowboarder ends up using his/her heel edge and is going straight

although when the boats actualy had people in them it was usually attached to a ski patroller..

No I can't find boots big enough. Currently I use a pair of very squishy leather boots given me by a friend. I can't get big snowboard boots here, because ALL Japanese people have small feet you see.

And there's no imminent danger of me taking up skiing in the near future either. Setup costs are prohibitive, and anyway, I want to get better at boarding.

different boots are different sizes, even though they might both be a size 10 or whatever. u can have a small size 10, and a large size 10.

some boots fit better than others: width etc.

boots are such a vital component so it would be silly to buy boots off the net that youve never tryed on.

Let's find out if cakehead is baka or not.

cakehead, have you ever put your cakefeet in shoes? If you haven't that might be a reasonable thing to say. Otherwise, you'd know that spending 30,000 yen up on boots you haven't tried on would have an 80% or higher chance of being a waste of money. If you'd looked at a few boarding clothes websites, you'd notice that they often say 'we don't recommend buying boots online'. But hey, maybe you're not aho, maybe you never have tried on shoes.

And talisker and SKI, seeing as you're not keen on economical epithets, how about I call you mealymouthed, band-wagon hopping, opportunist mediocrities? Is that more to your taste?

I would also say thank you..

Being mealy mouthed truly is a compliment. To be described a such is surely far better than "sandwichly - mouthed". I would much rather be a full on meal than a snack.

Secondly, I have been trying to hop on band wagons without much success as of late but to finally get on one - even if I don't know which one it is - is fantastic!

Finally, to be referred to as a medocrity is beyond my wildest dreams - better than pedestrian or passable - but " an opportunist mediocrity" I am so glad I was able to take that opportunity!

On a more civil note... I would agree that buying shoes / boots Online would be both problematic and a real gamble...

I think it could be a little bit better for ski boots because you can always check shell size - which I have always used for a good starting point when boot shopping... But for snowboard boots there is no such luck.....

This brings up another question... what is it like mail ordering something from overseas - US, Canada, Aus - and getting delivery here in Japan ?? Also, what happens if you have to return something ?? Do the normal rules apply as if you where in that country? RO [return order #], ship back collect ?? Doesn't seem like these "normal" rules could possibly apply...

Regardless, I feel your pain Ocean - no pun intended - getting a pair of boots for those clodhoppers of yours is problably a dubious endevour even in a "Big Footed" country... there just can't be that big a selection in 32.. is that like about a size 13 ???

On a personal note, I do understand your dilemna Ocean... I may have only size 28 feet but at 185cm, 120kg and built on the big size, I have the same frustrations looking for clothes here in the land of the little people... Found out that the best place in the world for me to shop for clothes is Hawaii where a good portion of the population is 2x the size of people here...

Besides, we're all just jealous... You know what they say about guys with big feet??..............

Big shoes

You gotta try boots on. It is so important that they fit just right. I wear size 12 shoes but size 10 boots. The first year I boarded I had size 12 boots. It made such a difference when I got boots that fit correctly.

I did in fact take the plunge buying boots online, had no choice. Also had a few things in my favor. I already had a pair of the same make that were slightly too small and too lightweight. Just went up a size, called up the shop (backcountry.com) got some great advice and all turned out rosy.

Ah, save for the 'boot tax' Got hit with 10,000 yen tax!

Funny thing... the best fitting boots I ever bought... the ones mentioned above! I find, what with shifting foot size under different conditions, even buying boots in a shop can be hit and miss.

I don't really know. I'd just stepped out of the house for five, and when I'd come back, the tax had been paid. I think there's a leather boot tax here, and maybe it was assumed that the (plastic) boots fell into that category.