Actually, I was thinking more of the hand end of the wrist guard cutting into the tendons, say if you fell on your hands and didn't make a fist. My guards don't have much padding there.

The hard edge of the guard goes right across where the tendons come together...

The wrist guards I have for blading, you couldn't make a fist.

I don't use for boarding. I think you're either a roller or a stopper. Never had a prob with hands or arms stopping, as I just go for a shoulder roll.

The wrist guards i use are "DaKine". they are small and only have a "plank" on the inside if the wrist. They are designed to be worn under the mittens/gloves. They are made from a similar substance that wetsuits are made of.

If i understand you correctly Ocean, the design of these guards is such that there is not much of a risk of tendon damage. I certainly have not experienced it as yet, and hope not to!! I used these wrist guards when i was first learning to board - ie - falling over a bit! - and my wrists and tendons where always ok.

Most people (in Australia at least) seem to use the guards that are worn externally and have "planks" on each side of the wrist.

Personally, i swear by the DaKine ones (i might hadd that i have no commercial interest in DaKine - i merely think they are a good product). They are comfortable, look good (that is - they can be worn under the mittens/gloves), but most importantly - they do the job of protecting your wrists very well!!! \:D

Cheers

Drew

For snowboarding, I'm a stopper and roller and face planter, but my wrists don't seem to come in for any damage.

My wrist guards have hard plastic plates top and bottom, and a thumb hole. It's the top plate that looks as though it could hurt. But if you actually whacked your wrist bone into the road without these on, I'd hate to imagine how much it would hurt!

You can just about make 'em out in this pic.

summerboarding-2-c.jpg

I'm thinking of getting this lot from Dirtsurfer, for riding on roads. The bum protector looks like the most comprehensive hip protection I've ever seen.

fullset.jpg

The DaKine wristies are made to protect your wrist and arm, having a "plank" on the back of your wrist can cause ur forearm to shatter or brake because the pressure is un-even.

The DaKine ones are pretty comfy but i found they cut in to your thumb "skin!" but i fixed that with a little trimming and altering!

Enjoy and dont hurt ur selves!

Wow. I have totally never heard of wearing wrist guards for snowboarding. I wouldn't have even thought their purpose was to protect from broken bones.

My snowboarding injuries:

Badly dislocated elbow 3 seasons ago - 3 weeks out (2 in a sling). Never fully healed.

Sprained shoulder 2 seasons ago - 1 week out. Full recovery.

And then the bad boy. Last day I rode a snowboard was mid March of this year. Epic powder day. Riding with a few pros and strugglin to keep up. Comin down through a pretty steep section goin real fast, came up over a bluff and hit a tree at about 40 MPH. I pulled back hard when I saw it but it was too late. Hit flat on the bottom of my board directly under my left foot. Spun me around the tree. My first thought was that I had broken my back. When I got over being alive I realized it was only my foot. The dudes I was with were long gone and no patrol so I had to get up and board down. Pretty slowly to say the least. Turns out I shattered my left ankle right in the joint. Probably couldn't have bene a worse break but I was just so happy it was only my ankle. Crutches for 10 weeks. Bothering me as I type this. I really hope it doesn't affect my riding this year, but something tells me it will never be the same.

Here's the best part. I went to Tokyo 3 weeks after it happened. 2 week vacation in Tokyo ON CRUTCHES! Still had a great time, but damn I cannot wait to go back now that I can walk.

Quote:
Originally posted by snowboard_freak:
The wrist guards i use are "DaKine". they are small and only have a "plank" on the inside if the wrist. They are designed to be worn under the mittens/gloves. They are made from a similar substance that wetsuits are made of.

If i understand you correctly Ocean, the design of these guards is such that there is not much of a risk of tendon damage. I certainly have not experienced it as yet, and hope not to!! I used these wrist guards when i was first learning to board - ie - falling over a bit! - and my wrists and tendons where always ok.

Most people (in Australia at least) seem to use the guards that are worn externally and have "planks" on each side of the wrist.

Personally, i swear by the DaKine ones (i might hadd that i have no commercial interest in DaKine - i merely think they are a good product). They are comfortable, look good (that is - they can be worn under the mittens/gloves), but most importantly - they do the job of protecting your wrists very well!!! \:D

Cheers
Drew
i wear these DAKINE wrist guards too.
i like the UNDER GLOVE thing, but they look a little funny when you wear those thin halfpipe gloves..
the down side is when you sweat in them, i could wash mine a thousand times and theyll still hurt ya nose..
i agree that they are have it over other wrist protectors in looks and comfort, but in effectiveness, im not sure.
i wear them every day i ride, however i broke my wrist thru them on a large table the season before last. i actually broke the end off my forearm bone(thumb-side)
i hated them so much as i painfully pulled the tight-fitting wrist-clingers off my swollen forearm mad.gif (that `comfy` wetsuit material is stretchy and must be pulled off with a bit of force)
da180021.jpg
the doctor said they might have saved my wrist/arm from multiple fractures..
but im in two minds, whether they actually work or not, saying that tho i still wear em just incase.
\:\)

Those are the daKine wristies that i wear, i swear by them as i said before, they save ur whole arm....

by having just one plank it takes the presure of the rest of your arm and can stop a broken are as well as a broken wrist.

of course if your macking it down a mountain at high speeds then nothing will stop a brake but they can stop it from being increably bad!

The dakine ones are awsome for beginners too.

ENJOY!

• 3 weeks later...

I broke my nose off a huge kicker, blood everywhere. And I`ve concussed my head a few times.

Other that that, I got my feet wet a few times. And sometimes I get a runny nose.

Seems like the wrist guards topic is all the rage - I`ll keep saying that yeah, a wrist operation is far more complicated, long, and expensive than a simple broken forearm. And I`ll repeat my vote for the Red (Burton) Impact guards - they are built into the glove.

Whether you see it as an advantage or disadvantage is up to you.

I`m not a Burton lover, but this is a pretty good prod.

http://www.burton.com/gear/pr_gloves.asp?productID=131

Quote:
Originally posted by Yuki's Passion:
At 17 years old Amandaism youre joints/hips are bad? Yikes, what did you do? Runner? My knees are pretty bad from all the running I do...
i use to run, and swim. now im i pretty avid basketball and soccer player.

i did it playing basketball. it just sort of moved, and that moment i had never been in so much pain. and from then on somedays i wake up and have really bad pains on my left side, and im literally immobile.