a common feature of canadian resorts is to have "snow hosting", whereby the locals that live round the resort take people out on a 'personalised' tour of the mountain. e.g. take them to good runs, show them nice places for a hot chocolate etc. the hosts don't get paid for it but they do get a season's pass in exchange. the hosts can ride whenever they want provided they take about 3 host sessions a week - usually for an hour and a half each time.

the hosts are divided into level of ability and in theory, both skiers and boarders can participate in a host group. resorts like sunshine and whistler have separate boarding and skier hosts which is even better because it is obviously more tailored to the terrain preferences of each group.

i know that a few of the aussie-run outfits in hokkaido take you on a guided ride but what about here in honshuu? anyone had any experience of this? i think its a really good way to find your way round a new mountain, and even more so on those days where all your mates decide to ski and you are left on your lonesome.

curious

belle

back in the states most resorts call them 'mountain guides' or 'mountain ambassadors'...but I never tried them out...they were usually sweet old ladies...or cowboy hat wearing old men...I'm sure they can ski, but they arent going to take you to the 'hardcore' terrain...

danz

Agree re hardcore terrain! Although if you took them for a beer, they might surprise you.

We went on one of those tours when in Fernie (Canada)in 97 (god what an epic snow year!). They took us around the main runs, all very nice. Then, on one of the lower connector runs, there was A Moose! I thought, oh, beauty, a cow with antlers. But the Canadian hosts got very nervous and cautious...apparently these things are dangerous. It sure had a nasty expression on its face.