It seems we have quite a few people here from Nagano.

Can we have a show of hands from the people in Nagano, with your location (a) and most-visited resorts (B)?

----

a. Suwa

b. Nozawa and Wada Toge

The local news in Nagano is a roller coaster ride of emotion at the moment. Yesterday documented the El Nino phenomenon which is apparently going to deliver us a thoroughly sub-par winter, while today's news featured a row of cabbages with frost on them. Soon they'll be showing those harbingers of the REAL THING - some matey riding a snowboard down a pitiful scraping of artifial snow at Karuizawa - yay!

Gaijinpot has mostly trash jobs and the terms advertised may have no relation to the actual terms offered. It seems to offer the worst aspects of the Japan Times job classifieds and offer none of the better aspects. Use with extreme caution.

What do you think?

Well I liked the site, but it seemed about as useful as any of the other post your resume for auto job application sites, (like monster.com or hotjobs.com) except with obviously more focus. I much prefer to email the company personally and always do so if I can find their website (and it's in English).

Some of the jobs were definitely cheesy. There was some crazy tech recruiting phone solicitation job that reeked of pyramid scheme. I applied for about 5 English teaching jobs through the online application and 3 that I found on Gaijinpot but was able to apply directly. I got one response back from one of the 3. It might be that I am under qualified or that it was only a week ago. It is a resource. You have to take it for what it is.

Well, looks like I may just have to come to Japan on my own and worry about finding work later. I have some money saved up and I can sell my car (and everything else I own). It's time for an adventure. Plus I want to improve my Japanese and hit some J-Pow! Anyone know a good place to stay for a few months?

So yeah, if from Nagano now, freakin` stoked, seeing as I`ve wanted this for a year. Major hassle and waiting to get here, but I`m in a good spot so I can`t complain.

I`m actually moving in on Halloween (Oct 31st) night, and have my own 2 bedroom pad, so to any of the longtimers on this board, hit me up with an email or a private message, and I`d be happy to have you come stay with me, that is if I can kickit in Niseko, or Hakkouda, or wherever with y`all.

In any case, now that the ink has dried and I`m on my way, I`m going to do my best to set up some parties, backcountry barbeques, etc.

werd.

that`s what i figgered when i was looking for a place - nice and central - good spot for day or half day trips. of course the snow is better up north, but the ride is farther as well.

it`s snowing \:\)

Yep Im 15 mins drive from Nozawa, my place turns semi-ryokan with mates coming to stay and shovel the snow for me in winter. I often see a van of gaijin boarders at Nozawa - Im the skiier who you guys always yell at to get out of the powder under the lift at the top. We should have a midmorning beer sometime. So van people if you are on the list where do you come from?

so a) Iiyama and B) Nozawa and Hakuba. I hate the road to shiga, esp driving home tired on it.

If the van is a grey Light Ace, that would be me and the Suwa boys.

We often go to that log cabin pizza and pasta place in Iiyama for eats afterwards. It's not bad.

Oh, and I didn't know I actually shouted at skiers in the powder. I know I visualize myself doing so, but I didn't think I was actually doing it. Well, wodaya know?