what do u mean mittens get wet??

mmm.....

mine dont unless i dig a hole in the snow and stick my hand in to it for a while....

they have waterproof material on the back of the hand and like a grippy bit ova ya palm and fingies!

mmm... i like mittens then your fingers can keep eachother warm were gloves you only have the material to keep your phingers warm....

just a thought??

gloves O

mittens X

i have mittens and gloves and it doesnt seam to matter what brand i buy, they somehow get wet and eventually die before ive saved enuff for a new pair.

i go with gloves tho,

my fingers detest having such comformity forced upon them by the mit, and i dislike losing the ability to hold multiple things in one hand which is possible with gloves.

if my fingers get cold on the lift, i simply half-pull my gloves off and bunch my hand into a fist.

I find that whichever I use, my hands get wet.

This is mostly because all gloves and mitts provide complete overkill. Where's the layering you get with all the rest of your clothing?

If you wear the basic glove (without even the liner), you get wet hands from sweat. If you tear bits out of the glove to make it cooler, you destroy the integrity of the glove and get wet from moisture coming in from the outside.

What I want is something that's thin, waterproof, has a bulletproof pad for the palm, and comes 1/3 up my forearm. Oh yes, and doesn't cost more than Y3,000. And that, you can't get. Can you?

Gloves for me, coz I like to be able to use individual fingers.

I wear leather ski gloves that have been treated with Sno-Seal (bees wax). They keep nice and dry, but the only problem is that the finger tips wear out because they are not designed to be grabbing the edge of the board and manipulating bindings all the time.

I am investigating making up little fingertips from a high wear fabric and sewing those over the tips of the fingers.

As may have ben read in another rather trivial and lame post of mine (which one would that be...)

I bought some burton mittens, gortex outer reduced to about 7000yen from 16500yen.

There are a lot of mittens and gloves on sale at the moment.

i prefer mittens as they dont leak as much (due to FAR less stitching).

As may have ben read in another rather trivial and lame post of mine (which one would that be...)

I bought some burton mittens, gortex outer reduced to about 7000yen from 16500yen.

There are a lot of mittens and gloves on sale at the moment.

i prefer mittens as they dont leak as much (due to FAR less stitching).

mittens.

good call lama, i got a pair of those too. bought `em at big white in `97. they`re a bit tattered now but they`ve seen a heap of snow-time.

a cuppla times last season i pulled the inner out and wore a glove instead, so i had the practicality of a mitten, and the warmth of a glove.

gunna get me some new ones this year though!

Thin (very thin) polyprop/silk glove covered by a gortex mitt (with skirt, comes up to two inches below yer elbow). The mitt should have fleece/pile lining, movable or immovable.

The layering system, just like all other clothing should be. Off the mitts for tricky stuff, adjust for weather conditions.

Prob have to go to yer local friendly mountaineering store to get it though.

(bought me snowden moulding mitts w/ pile lining in Capel craig, '87, still going strong!)

Akibun,

These have thumb, index, and the rest, thus 3 finger mitts(inner golves are regular five finger fleece, thou). They are warm, and still have dexterities. My favorite for Hokkaido Back country.