Sunday 23rd update

Mount Fuji saw its first snow of the season this weekend, with 9cm of snow settling on the top of the mountain 9 days earlier than in an average year, and 5 days earlier than last year. Mount Hiuchi near Myoko in Niigata Prefecture also saw some 3cm of snow gracing its peak - the first snow of the year on that mountain arriving a huge 23 days earlier than in an average year!

While the "real snow" is weeks away and the ski/snowboard season still months away for most resorts - can we take these as good signs for large snowfalls this season? We will have to wait and see!

Saturday 22nd

Reports are also coming in from regions of northern Japan today.....Light sprinklings of snow could be seen on the tops of mountains in regions of Niigata, Yamagata and other prefectures in northern Japan early this morning (only to disappear as the day progressed). Mornings are become increasingly cold....

Interesting - it certainly has gone cooler in the last week. At last the heat seems to have gone. I myself will just enjoy the fall for the next 2 months before getting all worked up about winter. Fall is great out there folks - especially towards the end of next month.

Well worth exploring.

• 4 weeks later...

Melted never to be seen again!

It always puzzles me why every year there seems to be small sprinklings on the tops in September, and then nothing for 2 months? Any people in the know care to explain?

All you students of Japanese can check out the long range weather forecast here

http://www.wline.co.jp/cgi-bin/wline/kankoki/kk.pl?1

We got the pretty much the same forecast on TV Shinshuu the other day. That is, average snowfall, higher than average sunshine, higher than average temperatures until the end of the year.

Last season, the forecast was for less than average snowfall for Nagano, which as we all know proved to be totally wrong come January. The higher than average temperatures bit was true, however.

According to the apple growers, we've had less than average rainfall this year, resulting in small fruit. Hopefully this will continue while the leaves are out, and then change as we move into winter.