i know how most japanese freestyle riders love the halfpipe, so the terrain parks in japan are not known to be very extensive ...right?

how about jumps in niseko, this great site(i love this site, such a wealth of information) says that niseko has tabletops and onemakes, how big are these(length in feet)?? what was the biggest? are they well maintained or does the management only care about the pipe? are there jibable rails in the niseko villiage?

are there groups of riders who go off piste and build their own jumps in the powder?

if anyone would answer some/all of these questions, i'd be so grateful

thankyou

oh,and one more thing,

has anyone been to sahoro resort?

...is it isolated?

whats sahoro's park like?

dyou think they'd hire foreign snowboard instructors?

sorry for all the questions...

but if somebody had the answers......?

thanks

Went up to Sohoro towards the end of last season and was pretty unimpressed, I think partly because the snow was so bad. There had been a warm spell where the top melted and then refroze leaving a horrible icy surface. Saying that even without the dodgy snow the resort is pretty small and the lift system not that great,especially for boarders. There is not much around, Club Med and one or two other large hotels. However, there is a shuttle bus that runs to Tomamu which is a better resort, much larger and a better set up. Saying that, if you are travelling all the way to Hokkaido I would recommend Niseko rather than the smaller resorts. It is a cliche on this site, but Niseko is one of the top resorts for size, snow and nightlife.

Chris

The board park in niseko is definately not huge basically

a table and a spine. the spine last year was definately a biggie. Ive spent most of the summer regretting not having the sack to hit it full speed. Theres a nice area just up from kfc where people build heaps of jumps and hang out you can almost always find a nice kicker with a powder landing there. Dont know much about rails, still need to work on expanding the sack for those. Everytime I try it I end up with a nice blue rail tatoo across the back, and thats on the easy ones they set up on course.

HA HA ha,,,,yea, ive had a few rail tattoos...

thanks for the knowledge on sahoro

I hope I dont sound like a "big-shot" in the park or pipe, cuz im not.

but I loved the week or so i got in the park at my local resort (Turoa,NZ) a perfect set-up: some shity jumps, small rails and probably the worst pipe youve ever seen, but that was perfect for keeping the beginners out of the best bits, rainbow and kinked rails, and two 35 foot tables, i was too scared to spin off those jumps cuz they had ice landings,, i did manage to break my wrist on em though..

the niseko park sounds alright,,,,but who needs it when youve got the powder supply eh?

thanks heaps for the info...

i think i read somewhere that there was a locally famous gap jump at Niseko....?

but the one thing ive gotta know, How may feet do these jumps measure across the top?

(a rough estimate = fine)

{sorry to be so inquisitive}

Thanks

...Hav U ever try Kita-Shiga Takai-fuji's terrian park? It's really good.

I heard they are going to make bigger park this winter call 'X-Jam'...

Maybe I gonna buy their Season pass...

If in Nagano, maybe try Yanaba on Route 148 between Omachi and Hakuba. The resort itself is small, not particularly high and would not be interesting but for the large number of table tops, jumps, rails, waves, takoyaki (bumps) etc. Last year they had them lined up all along the biggest run, so you can go from one to the next. It's cheaper than the other Hakuba resorts and the jumps are about as big as anywhere else.

I've heard of more non-beginners getting injured at Yanaba than anywhere else, so make of that what you will. Last year they had a Burton testride centre as well, so you can try out new boards for two hours at a time gratis.