Has anybody out there taken a Camelbak (backpack with built-in water carrier) out on the slopes ? I was thinking of getting one like the Chairman recommends, but was wondering if they freeze up like a Snickers in your pocket will. What temp are they good to ?

I have used Camelbacks down to -5deg C, and the liquid has not frozen so far. Probably due to the camelback's insulation and the lowered freezing point of the drink of choice.

They are a pain to clean and flush though.

Hey,

I've used my Camelback down to -20C....don't do what I did....I forgot to blow the water outta the tube back into the main pouch !! It froze solid ! However, the water in the pouch wasn'y frozen (i think....... smile.gif )

ditto - on these two rules

:

1.don't wear outside your coat unless warm temps (above freezing).

2. don't forget to blow in the tube when you fill it & after each time you take a drink

Rule 3. would have to be - empty it after every day or the green fungus will take hold!

• 2 weeks later...

I've used a camelback for three trips now, and I agree with Scruffy. I only add one thing- never fill the thing all the way full. If you take a bad spill, the added pressure can burst the bladder, and you'll get doused with water. Not good.