I'm trying to get an idea of the scene in Japan. I'll be moving to tokyo in January from Canada, and I have no idea about Japanese snowboarding besides the fact that I saw alot of Japanese riders when I lived in Whistler. I have basic questions like, is there freeriding? big parks? whats the best resort near tokyo? Can you ride out of bounds? Is there an out of bounds? Just anything that might be interesting or give me an idea. thanks

Hi

You can go to quite few slopes from Tokyo.

Because several transportation(i.e. Shinkansen, Buses etc) go to Nakago, Nigata, Tochigi, Yamagata etc.

Many Japanese are freeriders but there are some nice Park too (well, you shouldn't image park like Whistler's but quite okay)

But most difficult/annoy thing to do snowboarding in Japan is RENTAL GEARS/BUYING SNOWBOARD GEARS. Rental gears are really anciant model and bloody expensive. If you plan to go a lot, better to carry your gears or Buying gear in Japan.

But buying in Japan is really expansive, easy to spent JPY150,000-!! But at least you can buy buy "Japan Limited Model (oh, well...)" from several brand.

That's it.

I am live in Tokyo, if you need more info. feel free to contact me ;-)

Hi Steve

Lots of questions there. In short, the boarding possible in Japan is (in the right place) awesome. Many peoples favotite places are up in Hokkaido - Niseko being the most famous one - but there is a huge choice in Honshu nearer Tokyo. Some places are reachable within 90 minutes from central Tokyo, which is pretty amazing if you think about it.

Many resorts have over the last 3 or 4 years got so much more welcoming towards boarders - before that they were looked on as amusing oddities on the slopes - but many resorts now actually have more people on the board than on 2 skis. The quality of parks is increasing too, with some places dedicating bigger and better areas to boarding facilities and fun things.

Hope that helps just to start off with anyway.

Val

• 2 weeks later...

man, the parks are getting better every year here. 3 years ago it was all shit, but now you can find some fun toys at a decent % of resorts. Japan rocks. while wear at it, this web sight rocks too. we are not worthy smile.gif

peace