This is going to be addictive when the snow starts falling I can tell!

So can anyone help me out with comparing the 2 major places in Nagano....any recommendations between the Shiga Kogen area and the places in Hakuba valley.

Cheers

Ian

Hi ian,

If you'll have enjoy your leisure in a forest and calm atmosphere, I could be recommend the Shiga-Kohgen.

If you're a brimful with young and have an aggressiveness, I'd recommend the Hakuba areas.

both ar nice!

if you like to ride one day never on the same slope, to let 1500 kids (beginners, in the same ski dress) join the lift and the slope with you and you are not out there 4 party, then go to shiga kogen.

if you like big crowds, every day another ski area and a little more party, ten go for hakuba.

but both of them are really good!

It depends on what you want to do.

If you`re into jumps, pipes and backcountry(i.e. the back of Hakuba-not advisable unless you`re with someone who knows the area) then Hakuba for definate.

If you`re the oppposite then Shiga - why? Because there isn`t any of the above in Shiga.

Quote:
Originally posted by j-dog:
It depends on what you want to do.

If you`re into jumps, pipes and backcountry(i.e. the back of Hakuba-not advisable unless you`re with someone who knows the area) then Hakuba for definate.

If you`re the oppposite then Shiga - why? Because there isn`t any of the above in Shiga.

if you find in some pauda place in shiga, you can be shure that you ride the finest and lightest pauda ever!!
  • 2 weeks later...

Here we go, same question every year. As if one area has to be "better" than another. Every major ski resort in Japan is better than sitting on your backside at home (period)

I heard that the most popular destination for school trips that have been switched from North America following 9/11 is ....

Shiga Kogen.

Maybe some AETs out there can confirm.

That said, Shiga is a great area with loads of linked slopes. My memory's a little hazy and I was a skier at the time, but I don't recall having to walk too far between the runs.

I live in the Hakuba Valley and I can reassure you all that it's only loud in Hakuba if you go looking for it. Quaint Japanese mountain village it ain't and there are places to have a drink and a laugh, but that doesn't mean it has to get up your nose unless you want it to.

If you can be bothered to get back in your car, there's a Hakuba Super 7 ticket available this year in case you want to switch resorts during the day. Nowhere near as convenient as having the resorts linked like in Shiga, but at least there's no anti-boarder rules like you get at OkuShiga.

If you're talking Nagano, Myoko and Nozawa are also worthy of at least a mention. Nozawa is the single biggest area and is more laid back than Shiga. The Myoko/Seki/Arai(technically Niigata) area gets the most snow and is possibly the most fun.

I want findable powder, and I don't want to wait in lines. I don't mind doing the same slopes a lot, at least not for a day or two, as long as its wide enough that I don't have to follow in my own tracks. I've been to Hakuba several times, usually Hakuba 47, and I can forsake nightlife (and NoFakie's right, its not like Hakuba is jumping unless you want it to be), for better conditions. So given these things: powder seeking, but not yet backcountry, can Shiga outdo Hakuba?

ps. my school rerouted to Kyushu for the school trip.

hard to say, cause when i was in shiga it didn't snow much.

but i think, when you search pauda then go better for hakuba (even if the double black diamond club at cortina get closed this year)

Quote:
Originally posted by Wade:
I want findable powder, and I don't want to wait in lines. I don't mind doing the same slopes a lot, at least not for a day or two, as long as its wide enough that I don't have to follow in my own tracks. I've been to Hakuba several times, usually Hakuba 47, and I can forsake nightlife (and NoFakie's right, its not like Hakuba is jumping unless you want it to be), for better conditions. So given these things: powder seeking, but not yet backcountry, can Shiga outdo Hakuba?

ps. my school rerouted to Kyushu for the school trip.

You'll wait in lines at both! As others have said, hakuba is louder. If all yr really after is unskied powder then Shiga is the go simply because it's *so* freakin' big. I happen to think the snow's better there, too.

In terms of value for money, I'd pick Shia any day, with Nozawa coming #2. Screw Hakuba. :-)

Mr. Bob!
YMMV.

Mr Bob is right when he describes Hakuba as "louder".

Shiga has a "quieter" feel to it and wider feel too. Great place if you ask me, but sometimes I feel there isnt as much snow there are in hakuba or other regions. Anyone else get that feeling?

Last year I didn't encounter a line any longer than about 4 chairs worth, at either Shiga, Hakuba or Nozawa (excepting the first lift of the day). Hope it's the same this year.

Access to Shiga is easier than Hakuba as there's only really one road to Hakuba.

Thanks Mr. Bob! I'll give Shiga a shot. I was stuck with Hakuba due to a convenient bus from Nagoya last year. And I like the guys at Snowbeds. This year I've got wheels of my own. Does Shiga run on the magenetic ticket system that you return when your done? I plan to make my first trip this weekend (read: on knees praying for a dump), any cheap lodging recommendations?

Quote:
Originally posted by Wade:
Thanks Mr. Bob! I'll give Shiga a shot. I was stuck with Hakuba due to a convenient bus from Nagoya last year. And I like the guys at Snowbeds. This year I've got wheels of my own. Does Shiga run on the magenetic ticket system that you return when your done? I plan to make my first trip this weekend (read: on knees praying for a dump), any cheap lodging recommendations?

Last time I was there they were running the magnetic passes, yes. Which you should *not* have next to yr MD player when yr skiing... ;-(

Errr, pass on the places to stay bit - I know one of the families that owns some hotels up there so I stay for free :-)

Talk to JTB - some of the Sun Valley hotels run package deals incl meals, tickets and rooms, I think. Failing that, try Ichinoseki as the second place to stay. Both are central in the area (great for gettin around) and both have bars/clubs if you want to go out for the night. I-sek has a lot of pensions that're nice.

Good luck on the snow - I have a feeling that it'll not be good at this point. Shiga doesn't tend to get it's "dumping period" until the first week of Jan.

Mr. Bob!
YMMV

You should give Shiga a go, but I found (about 40 days in Nagano-ken over the previous two seasons) it lacks steeps and most runs lacked vert. It also gets less snow and has more flats and walking. On the otherhand it is a big interlinked area and very good for beginner/intermediate boarders. This early in the season though, you should definately go for Shiga though as it's extra height gives more reliable coniditions.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing you should consider is that its a helluva lot easier to get to Hakuba than Shiga. The road to Shiga is nasty, steep, winding and prone to ice and lots of cars leaving at the same time. Esp when your knackered after a hard day its not much fun. Also I found the runs at Shiga werent that long not steep compared to Hakuba.

Just my opinion though!

Quote:
Originally posted by zwelgen:
One thing you should consider is that its a helluva lot easier to get to Hakuba than Shiga. The road to Shiga is nasty, steep, winding and prone to ice and lots of cars leaving at the same time. Esp when your knackered after a hard day its not much fun. Also I found the runs at Shiga werent that long not steep compared to Hakuba.

Just my opinion though!

There are several roads into Shiga, but as far as I know, only one into Hakuba. The old road into Shiga (through Yamasomethingorother) is indeed prone to heavy traffic, but it isn't anything like steep! The expressway that was put in through Okushiga for the Olympics handles a huge amount of traffic. Take your pick.

As for runs, Shiga has plenty of short runs, yes. And plenty of long runs. Eg. the Higashidate Super G/downhill course is something like 4 kilometres. If you want more then you'll have a hard time finding it in Japan at a commercial field.

Steeps are available if you want, off-piste just like Hakuba - there are a couple of slopes out the east end of Shiga that are upwards of 45 degrees that load up with powder heavily, if you feel a need to ski unsafe terrain, and plenty of stuff in the 25-35 degree range that skiable if you have a clue about mountain safety.

Mr. Bob!
YMMV

I actually find the snow to be lacking in Shiga on the times I have been there. Not too much of it and pretty poor conditions. Maybe it's just my timing in going there, but for me Hakuba wins out all the time